A professional-standard anti-gloss filter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CoreyOlin, Oct 27, 2008.

1. CoreyOlin macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experience using anti-gloss filters for the new MacBook Pros? I don't mind the gloss while websurfing, but when I design magazine covers I need a more realistic color preview. I know it's not going to be perfectly calibrated anyhow, but it's darn close enough on my present iBook G4. I'm a graphic designer always on the go (thus, the notebook), and am left expecting more.

I used the new Macbook Pro in FNAC (Europe), and I found that as you move your head slightly, the colors distort DRASTICALLY. The white menu bar looks purple from a short angle. The top, middle, and bottom of the screen all project noticeably different colors. This of course is common in notebooks, but much more profound here.

I'm deeply frustrated that Apple didn't release a product with this one option. Many of us spend on Apple as a work vein. Are they for real? :eek:

Thanks,
    Corey

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

This is why many pros refuse to buy the new machine... I can't speak for others but I've brought a faster version of my current system with the good ole matte display.

You can try the PowerSupport Antiglare film, though it's fairly expansive and from my experience, it's the best one on the market!
    For the 15" Unibody MBP your looking at a $35.00 hit plus postage and packaging.

3. frijec macrumors member

4. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

arg i hate to just say this
    but someone posted pictures..
    the poster wasnt satisfied and said he saw a drastlic loss in the "boominess' of the color lol

5. jdwingnut macrumors regular

ROLFLMAO

duh. I found this out very quickly on my iPhone. Put the anti-glare film on and immediately pulled it off and used the clear because of the color loss.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Seriously, what you wanna see? the thing stuck to the glass or the images not showing through as good as you'd imagine? If you need a Matte display, buy a computer with a Matte TFT! Simple really!

oh wait... apple has made it really hard!

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

This is "likely" the reason why Apple (and other companies) are widely choosing to have glossy display panels. Even the best consumer matte LCD panels difuse some vibrancy (and a touch of sharpness) with the anti-glare coating. This is the reasons the colors "pop" more on glossy display panels as compared to matte.

Depending on the quality standards at which they are made, a high quality matte coating for the new MB & MBP could equal that of the factory avaiable matte screens of the previous generation MBP. The only issue is, the cost and materials to have optically consistant films would make them somewhat expensive ( I would assume).

Regardless, you are still working with a TN panel.

[​IMG]

8. frijec macrumors member

What is your problem?

I've already ordered a uMBP, I was just curious how it would look. I Love how the glass screen looks, but I've yet to experience it first hand since my order is still 3 weeks away.