A Program that I won't outgrow or grow with ........

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by driftless, Jan 7, 2012.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I am thinking of taking the plunge and dipping my toes into some video editing. I am comfortable with programs like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc., and I work on an iMac. I am looking at Adobe Premiere Elements and Pro and Final Cut Pro X. I am wondering if I start in Elements whether I can easily transition to Pro at a later date? Is there any advantage to look at Final Cut Pro X? I am primarily interested in doing short videos that will be incorporated into websites. I am friends with some pros who would do any serious video work. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I can't comment on Adobe products, however FCP X is great for splicing clips together and applying basic effects, transitions and color grading. If you have spent any time with iMovie and liked it, chances are you'll do fine with Final Cut.

3. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Final Cut X really comes in at a sweet spot with pricing as well. I just downloaded the trial version.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I bet going from Premiere Elements to Premiere Pro would be pretty painless, but FCP 10 will probably be easier to pick up initially as it's geared more towards people that don't edit day in and day out.

Lethal

5. -DH macrumors 65816

>>A Program that I won't outgrow<<

Good luck with that. I wouldn't trust Apple to keep FCP-X going for very long. You're concerned with outgrowing a program but I'd be more concerned about the program being discontinued or replaced with something entirely different.

If you want a program that you can grow with, consider Adobe Premier. Stay away from Apple apps all together.

-DH

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Why don't you think Apple will turn around and drop FCP 10? Apple is seemingly trying to make FCP 10 take the place of FCE as well as FCP and video production across the whole spectrum is only going to increase. I don't think Apple's main focus is the high-end pro anymore, but it doesn't sound like the OP is a high-end pro.

Lethal

7. driftless, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012

driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Well certainly not with video ........... Which is why FCX looks appealing with its lower price point and prosumer friendly learning curve. I can, however, appreciate the frustration pros have with Apple with their new release(s) of FC. However, coming at it from the prospective of a newbie the missteps by Apple do not impact on me and the new product is pretty appealing. Premiere Pro is fairly expensive. Particularly if adding After Effects that would cause me to jump to the CS Master Collection, yikes!, or add the Production Premium Suite. I am not opposed to Adobe products, I use Dreamweaver and Photoshop daily; however, I doubt that I will immerse myself deeply into video. I see my role in video is to add content to websites with videos that do not call for professional video photogs. And, also to learn more about the process as there is a huge confluence with web and video and other art forms. -DH brings up a good point about the longevity of FC. I can't control nor predict what Apple will do in the future but I do not want to make my software buying decision on speculation.

I think my choices are Premiere Elements and Final Cut X unless someone can suggest why I should jump into Premiere Pro. I have downloaded the trial version of FCX and I will purchase Elements after I finish posting here. Next I will order some tutorials and shoot up some "film" so that I can start learning. I would appreciate your additional thoughts and opinions because as I continue to demo these two programs.

- David

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Since both programs have demos I'd just get some quality time with each and see which one you like best.

I honestly wouldn't worry about Apple deep-sixing FCP 10. I think Apple felt they were at a crossroads a few years ago and made the decision to primarily go after a broader market rather than deeper down the post production rabbit hole. I honestly think FCP performed much better than Apple thought it would and they never really wanted to take over Hollywood. Apple is fine with customers coming to them but they really aren't a company to go after customers and the farther up the post production food chain you get the more you have to pay attention to what your customers require.

Lethal

9. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

My personal opinion is that Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro aren't too similar. Much like iMovie is not much like Final Cut Pro 7. However, I think that FCP7 and Premiere Pro are more similar. If you want a program to "grow into," I think that Premiere Pro will serve you well. However, check my sig line. I do have a bias. Keep in mind I used to be a hardcore FCP guy. :)

10. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

You think that you have to be a vendor to have biases and opinions? :eek:

I used to a PC and MS Front Page guy, I am trying not to have a similar misstep in the future.

I will download the trial version of Premiere Pro as well.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually he works for Adobe. It's his job to talk up Adobe products. Here's his signature, "surely" he's unbiased:

12. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless