A program that'll read my iTunes library file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jessica Lares, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm going to reset my iTunes library so I can have all my media in one partition. However, I don't want to have to re-listen to re-star stuff, nor do I want to just merge them because I've since bought the entire album of some things.

Is there an app that will let me read the contents of the iTunes library file?

Thanks.

2. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

Hi, i just moved my entire iTunes Library to an external drive and I did it through the iTunes Preferences pane.

I first copied the iTunes folder to the external drive. Then went to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Media folder location, and pointed to that folder.

iTunes asked me if I wanted to copy contents over and I selected no, knowing everything was there already. I don't rate anything so I don't know if that will transfer over. I don't see why not.

iTunes is working normally and I was able to watch a movie short via my ATV in another room.

Tim

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The problem is that my two libraries are on different partitions, and I need to move them both to an entirely different one.

4. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

Sorry, I understand now and am confused.

How do you access both libraries with iTunes?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Use iTunes match.

Or
    1. Export your playlists from library B
    2. Drop all files from library B into iTunes with library A
    3. Import playlist from library B to library A
    However, it's likely this way you'll import duplicate songs.

6. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, I don't want the duplicates.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I've done something chunky in the past for someone and it involves using AppleScript to store things like play counts and meta data that isn't stored with the audio file into the comments field (or any field you nominate).

Then when you add the file on the other side, I have another script that reads the data back out and into the library.

8. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Meh. I'm just going to risk losing all my stars and move them into the new partition manually. :mad: