Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schizophrenic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Just got my FIRST MAC EVER!! MY MBP! :D
how to maximize the safari window to fit the whole screen?? I swear I am not kidding :eek:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
1. click on the toolbar, drag it to the top left of the screen.

2. On the bottom right of the window, there is a thing that looks like 3 "/"'s that get progressively smaller to grab and drag to the bottom right of the screen.

3. don't do it. OS X is set up for more efficient multi-tasking, don't let your windows habits go to OS X, otherwise you'll start to get upset when OS X doesn't work like Window, rather then doing things the mac way -which while not necessarily is better, is different and how the OS is set up.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
install boot camp.

install windows.

download Safari for windows.

click "maximize."

...or do you want the complicated solution?

:)

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
There's no way to "maximize" like in windows.

Get used to it. The + button at the top left of the window (3rd button in) will fit the window to the content. But you typically don't need to take up the whole screen to display the content of the website you're on, so why do it? That seems to be apple's opinion on it.

Congrats on your mac.

...oh yeah...LEARN YOUR KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS. It's like when your mom tells you to "eat your vegetables" You'd better do it so you become a more efficient user!

Schizophrenic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
OK :D
I will go the MAC way, but how to open another tab?
You know what I am downloading Firefox :D
Thanks for the quick reply

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
OK :D
I will go the MAC way, but how to open another tab?
You know what I am downloading Firefox :D
Thanks for the quick reply

Command-T opens a new tab. You're going to find that Firefox minimizes/maximizes the same way as Safari. It's the Mac way. Also, the Mac way is never written in all caps!

Schizophrenic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
OMG I am so excited guys!! :D
Just opened a new tab!
I probably will have lots of Qs, bear with me :eek:
I am loving this

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
The maximize to entire screen is a leftover thing from single-task environments, such as DOS. Welcome to a multi-tasking operating system. For me, this was also kind of strange, not to be able to maximize windows to the entire screen.

However, you will find out, that in Mac OS X you can do a lot with drag and drop. The applications really work together much better as in Windows.

/Rupert

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Make a bookmark, place it in the Bookmarks bar, call it something appropriate (ie. F or Full Screen or whatever), then change the Address to:

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);​

Enjoy your Full Screen button...please don't use it...

redshift20

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2006
I don't know why people are so against the maximize feature in Windows. Maximized windows have nothing to do with poor multitasking... sometimes you just want to be focused on one application.

Which leads me to my next point for the OP. When you get tired of 10,000 applications begging for your attention in OSX, try Think. It works great.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I don't know why people are so against the maximize feature in Windows. Maximized windows have nothing to do with poor multitasking... sometimes you just want to be focused on one application.

I couldn't agree more.

There are some times when I absolutely need zero distractions. For example, when I'm writing a report it's extremely easy for me to get distracted because the urge to procrastinate is strong when I'm doing that task. Even when no other programs are running besides my word processor and the finder, I'm still distracted by the files on the desktop, and if I accidentally click on a spot outside the word processor window then the front app changes to the finder, and any windows that were open jump in front of my screen even, and blah blah blah. It very obvious, for some people doing some tasks, full screen application mode is a must. In fact, for just this reason I use the word processor Mellel because it has a full screen mode.

I am a HUGE Mac fan, but I'm not a fanboi. The difference between a fanboi and a fan is that a fanboi will defend his side without even seriously considering whether in some ways the other side might be better.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
dont see the need for maximising stuff - you jus minimize it and it docks or you use them along side by side. when i stopped using win xp/vista this was the first thing i learnt and probably the easiest advantage as opposed to spreading an entire window to fit my screen

zain

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
dont see the need for maximising stuff - you jus minimize it and it docks or you use them along side by side.

I don't get it, what does minimizing or running applications side by side have to do with the need to maximize? :confused: Minimizing is the exact opposite of maximizing.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662

Which leads me to my next point for the OP. When you get tired of 10,000 applications begging for your attention in OSX, try Think. It works great.

you are quite correct. there are some apps that i like to have full screen such as iPhoto, iTunes and the developer apps.

but having a full screen Safari window annoys the hell out of me on my 23 inch screen as theres just too much white space either side of the page. and for forums such as MacRumors that stretch to accommodate the whole window i would rather have a slim window as its easier for me to read.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Keyboard shortcuts yes repeat after me "I must learn keyboard shortcuts". I am a newbie from Windoze and I must admit I never really used shortcuts except Command (Control) C and Command V but just tried Command T. Love shortcuts.
Alan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.