A query about Blu-Ray...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kingkezz, Jan 10, 2008.

1. kingkezz macrumors regular

We produced a wedding video for a client who got married here in Australia but resided in the US. The client got two SD versions and a Blu-Ray version. However he can't play the Blu-Ray version as it's PAL.

We can't re-author as we deleted the project off our hard drives. My question is, if he were to send the disc back, does anyone know of a way to rip Blu-Ray discs to get full quality? So that I could convert it to NTSC? And burn another copy?

There is no encryption on the disc, a free solution is nice, but if there is a cheap version that you know of that works, I'd also be willing to pay.

Any thoughts?

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

You will need to use Bootcamp (or a friends PC), but this may do what you want? I don't really understand the program, maybe it doesn't rip the disc?

3. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

4. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

so I've got video, but I can't get the audio out of the .m2ts file??

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have no direct experience with BR, but I'm assuming it works similarly to HD DVD. There is no "NTSC version" or "PAL version" when dealing with HD, however the content may be encoded at 25 frames per second. I'd expect all players to be able to output this format, so maybe it's a region code issue rather than the video format itself.

Edit: Wait a minute, .m2ts? Is this an HD disc or is it standard-def video on a BR disc?

6. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

7. orlasttoy macrumors newbie

kingkezz:

what is your workflow to get your material to blu-ray?

i've shot everything in HD since my kids were born, but unfortunately was only able to burn regular ole' DVDs...UNTIL NOW!!

i knew this day would come so i saved my Final Cut Pro sequences so I could someday recapture the footage in HD & author to a HD format, like Blu-Ray

what program(s) do you use to get to the final product?

thanks!

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yep, HD is only HD (no PAL or NTSC - those are SD).

Make sure you authored the BD with no region, also, make sure the end-user has upgraded their player with the latest firmware.

9. kingkezz thread starter macrumors regular

Well I currently cannot author Blu-Ray as I'm on a mac. My colleugue is using Prem Pro CS3 (on XP) and just exports from the timeline to Encore where he creates a .iso and burns using imgburn.