A question about app data and backups

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Errk!, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

Do developers have the ability to specify whether or not app data is included with the regular iTunes backup? And do they have the abili to include a setting within their apps to let the user decide if they want the app data included in backups?

I have a number of comics I've bought from the Comixology and Marvel apps, and it since I can download them at any time it would be nice to not have them included in my regular iTunes backups and causing the backups to be larger and take longer.

The same holds true for video playing apps like Buzz Player. The files can be so large that it would be nice if I could select to not have the files included in backups.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are backing up to iCloud, you can select which apps to backup data and which not. If you are backing up to your computer through iTunes, then I don't think there's a way to do that.

3. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I think they simply don't.

Regarding iCloud all they have is the ability to enable iCloud Sync (Documents & Data sync between devices, like in the iOS 5 Apple Commercials with iWork Suite).

Like Night Spring said, if you backup to iCloud you can select which data to backup, in which case you'd exclude the video apps and whatnot.

If you also sync with iCloud the app data & documents you can also select which ones not to sync (and only the apps with this new sync enabled show up there, probably in the future most of the currently updated ones will).

With iTunes, I haven't seen that option.
    The only way, and is a pain in the ass (but it's a solution anyway!) would be, if jailbroken, to rename the app "Documents" folder to something like "Documents_Old" and then back up.
    Since iOS I don't think has a crontab you could always run a job on OS X and have it SSH and rename the folders, backup with iTunes (you'd have to kinda be tidy with the timing) then another job to SSH and rename them back to "Documents".
    Obviously, this last one is the NASA solution.

4. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the helpful answers.

If I choose to back up to iCloud and only select certain apps, will those apps not be automatically installed at all if I ever have to restore?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

They are restored, but will have no data.