A Question About Clean Installs.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 5DollaFootlong, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

If i were to do a clean install of snow leopard, would i later be able to bring my applications over via time machine. That being said, I currently have Adobe CS4 Design Premium and Microsoft office 2008 and itunes. Would i have to unlicense the programs and deauthorize my account before the clean install to make sure that i wouldn't lose the licenses and the authorizations.

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

It depends on how the company stores its license information. But generally, if its in your Time Machine you can bring it onto your hard drive.

But really, you can just upgrade and you'll do fine. Save yourself the hassle. If after the upgrade you've got a problem, you can always erase and start over.

mt

3. 5DollaFootlong thread starter macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

thanks ill just upgrade and hopefully i won't lose any serial numbers.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I would deactivate any Applications that require activation (or iTunes authorization) before you upgrade.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

Just one thought.

I've installed SL 3 times so far.

1st install: upgrade over top of 10.5
    2nd install: fresh erase HDD and restore via Time Machine
    3rd install: fresh erase again. No TM restore.

The reason I got to 3 installs was because of VERY poor launch of apps, VERY long boot, shutdown, and sleep/wake times. I'm talking in the area of 1:15s to startup, :20s to shutdown, :15s to sleep and so on.

My first two installs yielded this performance so I had to deduce the problem to systems settings or the like leftover from 10.5 or the TM backups.

Install 3 is by far the best. Bootup in :35s, shutdown in :3s, and sleep in :4s.

So if u can back up individual apps, I would shoot for that.

6. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

With that you mean: no connection of Time Machine Backup while installation to recover your user? Did you copy back your data from your backup one by one (which must take very long)? I assume after the clean install I can access my Time Machine Backup like a regular drive and do everything by drag'n'drop?

How did you manage Mail? Were you able to recover the mail metadata and inboxes by copying the Mail folder from your backup in ~/Library/Mail and the preference .plist? Sorry for so many questions.

I'm thinking about doing that too because my apps do not start that fast and not every animation is flawless and smooth. But maybe I'm just overreacting :eek:

7. 5DollaFootlong thread starter macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i think you can save the mail inbox as a txt file, then later import it. it's not truly a "clean" install if you bring back all of your preferences

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Erase and install, and then get data from a TM backup during the setup process should work just fine. I tried it on an external HD the other day and all went well. Of course, if you are having problems, just wait until 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 before installing SL and most issues will likely be resolved.