A question about deleting files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 251920, Feb 10, 2009.

1. 251920 macrumors member

Hi, I was just wondering, after I delete a file (mac os) are there any folders that keep some of the files remains(like regestry in win)? It's just that when I delete something I get the feeling that some files still left sitting in the system, files that I just can't see. (like in win)
    Thanks in advance for your answers...

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When you empty the trash can, the files are not deleted, they are simply marked for deletion and remain on your HDD until overwritten.

If you wish to delete a file so that it is not retrievable, in Finder, choose File > Secure Empty Trash.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you just empty the trash, then the file will be written over as the disk space is needed, although if you secure empty the trash then it will not be recoverable. If you're really paranoid then there is an erase free space option in Disk Utility.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't really understand your question, exactly. There are hidden files in the Mac OS, but unlike Windows you generally do not need to mess with them or worry that they exist. In fact, some of them are required for the system to boot properly, and deleting them would be a bad thing.

If you mean stuff like resource forks that have somehow become detached from their associated data forks, then yes, this is possible, but highly unlikely to happen.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I believe that they are talking about when they empty the trash and if there are remnants of the file left over after it is deleted.

6. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

and if you want to delete (uninstall apps) use this app: http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

The normal way would be to just move the .app into the trash (or a few apps are coming with a real uninstaller) but then there will sometimes be leftovers. If you use the AppCleaner app, it will find all those folders/files and gets rid of everything related to the app.

7. 251920 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly)))))))))
    Thank u 4 your answers
    Is there a way to see the files that I already deleted by having emptied the trash, the once that are waiting to be written over...?

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yes, but you'll need a third party program.

Data Rescue 2 is good.