A question about drinking...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Aug 23, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I am not a big drinker but I always wondered... do you know when you've had so much to drink that it makes you throw up? Or is it something where you just all of a sudden feel really sick and it makes you vomit? I've always been afraid to drink too much because I don't want to get sick from it. Not that my goal is to get drunk... I'm just wondering.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Depends on what you're drinking and how fast. If you're drinking beer at a normal speed, sure you get plenty of warning and can stop. If you're drinking vodka shots most likely by the time you start to feel a little sick it's already too late: you've got loads of alcohol still "pending" and you are going to hurl.

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

its usually hard to remember those kinds of details if you have had enough to cause you to vomit.

when i get to that point i feel like ****, but i tend not to care how i feel.

just remember to keep drinking water to avoid the hangover

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Way too much thought.

Every person's reception of alcohol is different. Typically the spins will result in throwing up. I have never thrown up from drinking. I just convinced myself it's not an option. The downside of not puking is some of the most painful hangovers imaginable. A good throw up can entirely eliminate the hangover; always drink lots of water.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Now there's a man who sounds like he's speaking with experience.
    :D

6. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So even though it is different for every person, how much can you drink without throwing up?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Over what period of time? I can comfortably drink 6-8 pints over 4-5 hours in an evening without getting close to being sick. But you might well find that tough (and UK pints are bigger than US ones)!

8. Macvillain macrumors newbie

Just remember when you start to get that crappy tasting watery saliva in your mouth get to a bathroom or garbage can (or am i the only person that gets that?) and its not so much the amount of alcohol you drink but the manner in which you drink it. such as if your playing drinking games that require you to drink alot in a short amount of time you'll probably be more likely to throw up, but if your casually drinking beer at your own pace for the night you'll probably be fine. Also switching back and forth between beer and liquor will greatly increase your chances of throwing up.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Some of us are experienced enough to pace ourselves so that we never get to that point. We can just go by how we feel. After you've thrown up enough, you learn to prevent it! It's a terrible feeling.

A peace of advice - listen to your friends when they start telling you to slow down. This can save you a really yucky mess to clean up, one that may make you thrown up again! But, like robbie said, by the time you've gotten to the point where you feel like you're going to puke, it's probably too late to do anything about it.

Toast anyone?:p

10. bartelby macrumors Core

No thanks, I'd prefer a beer;)

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So does this mean that the ancient art of the tactical chunder has never made it to the US? Used to be an acceptable tactic when I was at Uni. Get to the stage where you need to hurl, hurl and thus allow yourself to continue drinking as you'd removed quite a bit of alcohol from your system.

As long as you did it tastefully (in the bogs or the gutter between pubs) it was fine.

Looking back now I have to say students are revolting animals. :p

12. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I drink mixed drinks mostly and not beer or shots and I do not do drinking games. So if I am just drinking casually I should have no worries?

13. bartelby macrumors Core

So not on the floor in a Students Union bar at the feet of a security guy?

They are indeed.

14. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I've only ever thrown up when I was drunk once, so I don't have much experience. In my case, I'd had a few beers, half a bottle of wine and a very very bad apple pie at burger king. I blame the food.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably, but seriously why worry so much. The best way to learn is to make mistakes. If you do end up being a little sick it's not the end of the world and you'll have benchmark to work off.

If you really worry that much you can build up a tolerance to alcohol. Drink frequently and slowly work up how much you drink each time. Like going to the gym. I'm not really recommending this though..,

16. fotografica macrumors 68040

To the OP,stop over analyzing and have a drink..Seriously,you'll know when you're gonna hurl...Everybody else will too...

17. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I HATE to throw up, absolutely HATE it! And as best I can remember, when I got sick like that, I passed out. All I remember is my friends the next day giving me a hard time cause they had to clean out their car or something. Funny, it was never my car! :D

18. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Plain and simply stated; thanks.

19. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, it svery different for everyone, i say you just go for it until you puke, from then on you ll know how muhc you can take (or get a way better idea) and how your body reacts ... i ve only puked once...but that thought me how much to drink and not too mix too much stuff, that day i had beer, rum, cognac, coolers and vodka oh and lots of souther comfort i htink its suga-whiskey.(can t drink or even smell that anymore or i d instantlyw nat to puke)

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its been said but i'll say this again: what you're drinking, how fast you're drinking, and your own tolerance level are some of the main factors. also what you've had to eat and when.

if you throw up, big deal. yes, its not pleasant but its a lesson from your body. and it'll be that time then that you start to learn your own limits. at least thats my opinion on it all.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There are lots of factors that influence alcohol tolerance, from experience to body composition. Some people get tipsy and pukey after only a few drinks, and some people will pack away their weight in alcohol and eat the table.

Usually what happens is you get to pukey drunk once, maybe twice, and then you learn your limits. The other alternative is to have a few beers with a buddy or two, say, at home, and simply learn the ropes over the course of a couple nights.

22. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I know when enough is enough for me with beer. I won't end up throwing up that night, but possibly the next morning. Liquor on the other hand, I end up not knowing when to stop till its too late.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Pretty good summary, to my way of thinking. If you are mixing your drinks, (rather than sticking to one, i.e. beer, or wine), your chances of throwing up are greater. Likewise, if you are drinking on an empty stomach, ditto. It also depends on such subjective stuff as your basic mood. Drinking in a good mood, with easy going pals, is very different to drinking when you are really down; the latter tends to lead to gloomier depths, and possibly more throwing up.

My advice would be to drink plenty of water (nowadays - the voice of hard earned experience - I drink at least a large glass of water per round/pint/glass of wine; good for both stomach that night and head the next morning); eat before you hit the pubs; don't mix your drinks; and learn what you like to drink - some people can't handle spirits, others find wine gives them a vile hangover, etc, and learn what you are able to drink. Personally, I never drink anything already mixed; I prefer to do my own mixing when I drink spirits, that way, you can note what you are consuming. And I like robbieduncan's point (and agree with it); the gym analogy is splendidly, gloriously, ironically, apt; you do build up a tolerance if you drink regularly. And, yes, college days, wine and song and beer (and gutters, and falls, - my father - viewing me the following morning - referred to one spectacular night out on my part as resembling the Road to Calvary, the old "so Christ fell once, and twice, and three times", ah, yes); memories of bliss, and much else. Cheers

24. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Women don't have as high of a tolerance as men do either. So trying to keep up with them is not a good idea. (Yes, I learned this the hard way.):rolleyes:

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Hey, finally, a thread I can sink my teeth into.

Stand back kids, age speaking now. :p

A most excellent word.

Always, especially if you've soiled some furniture belonging to your Host.

Anyone else ever experience the shear moment of joy, when sleep finally comes on the bathroom floor??

Oh, and hitting your head on the toilet tank, whilst doing a "dive", will surely get your attention. Damn quick.