Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
My iPhone X comes tomorrow and I'm wanting to order the following fast, wireless charger from Amazon but it doesn't come with a power adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYLQ2TP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The specs on the charger say it's 10W max but I've read that the fast charging feature might require more than 10W on the iPhone X. I was thinking about using a 10W iPad power adaptor to use on the wireless charger but I'm wondering if it'll do any good with fast, wireless charging?

Any suggestions?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My iPhone X comes tomorrow and I'm wanting to order the following fast, wireless charger from Amazon but it doesn't come with a power adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYLQ2TP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The specs on the charger say it's 10W max but I've read that the fast charging feature might require more than 10W on the iPhone X. I was thinking about using a 10W iPad power adaptor to use on the wireless charger but I'm wondering if it'll do any good with fast, wireless charging?

Any suggestions?

Transferring power over the air is terribly inefficient and will burn extra overhead. As energy conscience and blue as Apple is... I’m quite shocked they went in on the wireless charging.

I recommend you stick strictly with the ones who promise compatibility with iPhone fast charge... thats:
Mophie and Belkin from Apple Store are safest bet.
There is also one specific model of RAVPower on amazon that claims support.

Each comes with an appropriately rated power adapter.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
29w charger for usb c and a usb c to lightning cable for fast charging is my understanding of what you need

as far as i know iphone x doesn't support fast wireless charging

Last edited:

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Transferring power over the air is terribly inefficient and will burn extra overhead. As energy conscience and blue as Apple is... I’m quite shocked they went in on the wireless charging.

I recommend you stick strictly with the ones who promise compatibility with iPhone fast charge... thats:
Mophie and Belkin from Apple Store are safest bet.
There is also one specific model of RAVPower on amazon that claims support.

Each comes with an appropriately rated power adapter.

It really isn't quite wasteful enough to declare it a detriment to the environment - we're talking a handful of watts here.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Any suggestions?

The description clearly says fast charge for Samsung, standard slow charge for iPhone. You need to read the details to understand what you are getting.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wireless is about 70% the efficiency of wired. The cases Apple offers are likely more environmentally unfriendly than this feature is... perspective.
[doublepost=1509677561][/doublepost]

Any suggestions?
Get a USB c to lightning cable. Get the proper plug for USB C fast charging. This will sort those issues for you.

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
I haven’t seen anything that says iPhones will use QI at a rate over 7.5W iirc. In either case, if you’re going the cheap route any 2.1A charger will suffice for a 10W QI pad. Won’t be as quick as wired, but will work just fine overnight or to keep a charge topped off at your desk if you live in a horrible reception area.

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
The mophie and belkin from the Apple store do 5w with the iPhones right now. Supposedly a future iOS release will support 7.5w wireless charging which those both are ready to do. So the only thing holding it back is iOS itself right now

DiddlyDo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Texas
So is Apple just limiting the charging speed until the release of its own charging pad? If not, why handicap the capability of its premium device?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I looked into this very briefly. The Amazon reviews said their iPhones 8s didn't fast charge. They also mentioned heat. Now, I don't want a hot pad, so knowing these things I went with a Ravpower $15 regular wireless, that people say doesn't heat up. I figure I'll wait for a better grip on the whole thing, before I spend over $20. So it will be an overnight thing. Who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.