a question about file management

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miki66, Dec 27, 2009.

1. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

Are there any softwares that can display files from selected folders all at once (for ex. in a single folder view)?
    And those files could be sorted regardless of which folders they are from.
    Not sure if I've made my point clear....I tried to search by "file manger", but what came up weren't what I wanted. :(

Let me do some simpler illustration.
    folder1 contains file A,C,D
    folder2 contains file B,E,H
    folder3 contains file F,G,I

suppose there exists a software, such that when I select folder1,2,3, all contained files will be displayed in the order of A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I...however, the files themselves are still stored in their original folders. They are just viewed in this single window.

Could anyone understand me??:confused:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I understand what you're after, although I don't know of a program that will do so. It's kinda a bastardization of the whole directory tree concept, though. Are you looking for a specific set of folders, or anything at all? It would help to have a clearer idea of what you're after, since it can probably be done in a less haphazard way.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Pretty much the only way you could do what you’re asking is to open multiple Finder windows and view each folder's contents. Meaning a window for "folder1", a window for "folder2", and a window for "folder3".

There might be some way you could do this using Finder search, but I couldn't tell you the exact criteria needed.

4. lomolomo macrumors newbie

depend on what kind of data you have, but a smart folder shows files from different folders in one (smart) folder....maybe there are add-ons out there to improve it...another way could be to do run an automator sequence that creates links in a specific folder.....

that could may work:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060416083216305

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Another way would be to create aliases for all the files, and place those in a "master" folder.

6. miki66 thread starter macrumors 6502

miki66

Thanks for all responses.
    In windows, I use p2p software to achieve this goal(not to share files online, but to organize them)
    Guess I just have to forget about it.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, you don't have to forget about it. My suggestion works for what you want to do, and there are other options given too. Ask for advice, wise. Not listening to advice, not so wise.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Tell us what p2p software you use on Windows. Maybe some other p2p software on Mac OS X will do the same thing or similar.

9. miki66 thread starter macrumors 6502

miki66

it's called utatane, a japanese p2p software.

I guess what i really need is a program like itunes, organizing all files not only music ones.

to Gregg2:

I believe your solution will work; however, there'll be too much work:(

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's where I was headed too, but it depends what exactly the OP is looking for... which they never answered.

How is it too much work? Create a new folder, then open whatever existing folder you want to view and press command+A, then option+command+drag the files into your new folder. Repeat. If you want to see what folder a particular file is from, right-click on its alias and select Show Original.