A question about gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nickg7, Mar 21, 2010.

1. nickg7 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm the proud owner of a new iPhone 3Gs on Orange UK and this is my first post.
    I'm after some help on setting up gmail please.

It's all set up and working ok but my question is...

When i delete any mail from my iPhone i don't want it to delete from my gmail account on my Macbook which it does. I want to keep my mail there and delete it when i want to.
    Does anyone know what i need to do to change any settings or even if it's possible to do so.

I'd appreciate any help or advice in doing this...many thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Set up your iPhone for POP and NOT IMAP to do that.

3. nickg7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your reply but could you point me in the right direction on how to?
    A link or something would be great and much appreciated to get me up and running.

4. Jenkins12 macrumors member

From http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=72454

If you're running software update 1.1.2, here's how to set up POP:

1. Tap Mail from your iPhone's Home screen.
    2. Tap Gmail.
    3. Enter your name, your Gmail address, and password in the appropriate fields.
    4. Tap Save. Now you're done!

If you're running software update 1.1.3, please note that tapping the 'Gmail' button will automatically configure Gmail IMAP. Here's how to set up POP:

1. Tap Mail from your iPhone's Home screen.
    2. Tap Other.
    3. Select POP from the tab menu.
    4. Enter your name, email address, and password in the appropriate fields. The Address field should be your full email address (username@gmail.com). Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com.'
    5. Under Incoming Mail Server, fill in the Host Name field as 'pop.gmail.com.' Google Apps users, enter the server names provided, don't add your domain name in this step.
    6. Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), fill in the Host Name field as 'smtp.gmail.com.'
    7. Tap Save. Now you're done!

If you notice that POP access isn't working properly, please ensure that all your settings are correct by following these instructions:

1. From the Home menu, tap Settings.
    2. Select your Gmail address.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Advanced.