a Question about iMac RAM.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BlindSoul, May 31, 2011.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello.

I'm gonna buy the iMac 21.5" inch one with the i5 2.4Ghz, And I've heard upgrading the RAM to 8GB Is too expensive on the Apple stores, So I've been wondering what kind of RAM kinds do you suggest me to buy if so?
    Please offer me more than kind of RAM if there's.

Also, How hard is it replacing RAM for an iMac? Can I do it by myself with a tutorial or I must let Apple do it?

Thank you very much! :)

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I would recommend Crucial or OWC (www.macsales.com), however it's not critical any RAM that is exactly what Apple recommends should be fine. Most RAM comes with a lifetime warranty, however it's always wise to NOT assume it does.

3. stir fry a lot macrumors newbie

4. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Adding to the RAM in the iMac is very easy, you just have to bear in mind a few things especially if you've not done anything like this before:

Remove the three cross-head screws on the RAM bay panel underneath the black Apple logo in the middle.
    You can see this panel easier if you tip the iMac backwards exposing the base panel.

De-static yourself by leaving the iMac plugged in at the mains, but SWITCHED OFF. Just holding the bare aluminium chassis will automatically purge any static on your body.

The RAM has exposed contacts along one edge, if you touch these you run the risk of frying your RAM with static electricity so never, ever touch these contacts; only handle RAM modules by the edges.

The RAM module has a slot in where the exposed contacts are. This slot needs to be to the LEFT in order for the RAM to fit into the machine.

Look inside the iMac's exposed RAM bay and you will see the edge of your exisitng RAM modules.
    There is a plastic flap wrapped around the existing modules, flip this out of the way with your finger.
    Offer up the new RAM into the empty slot alongside the existing RAM and fit into place by pushing on each end in turn with the tip of a finger.
    Do not use any tools for this pushing, just finger use finger pressure and eventually the module will be flush.

Repeat for the other RAM module and finally refit the RAM bay cover.
    Turn on the iMac and open profiler - Apple logo top left, then about this Mac, your extra RAM should be showing under memory.

Congratulations.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Or, of course, you could read the instructions for adding RAM in the Handbook that you receive with your new iMac! ;)