A question about iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmq75, Oct 1, 2007.

1. mmq75 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I have never owned an apple prodcut before and now I am thinking of buying either the iphone or ipod touch.

I already have verizon wireless contract for 2 years so I can't get an ATT service right now. My question is

Can I just buy the iphone and use it is an ipod? I like iphone as it has more features than itouch like a 2 megapixel camera.

Thanks

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

No. It needs to be activated to use any features of it. I believe, at least.

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

what I like so much about iPhone is:

1) the edge network gives me Internet access ALL the time (I live in NYC) this is a big plus for me as I am always on the go and free wifi is not always available on the fly

2) the functionality of the unit as a PDA. Adding iCal events on the fly etc

This brings up another point of genius with apple right now. The addition of iPhone and iPod touch is going to lure thousands if not millions of pc users over to the apple/mac side

Brilliant

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

are you sure? I think the activation can be bypassed otherwise why would they allow people to leave the store without activation?

5. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

The driving purpose of the online activation system was to minimize time spent in the store because conventional cell phone activation wastes up to 45 minutes of the customer's time. Freeing up the customer is good for the customer and the company which wants to turn around customers fast to make as many retail sales as possible in a given day.

6. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

It can't be used as an iPod touch out of the box you'd have to first unlock it using www.modmyiphone.com

After you do that the phone can be used to its full potential minus the use of the phone.

7. mmq75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies.

Mitch, so I can just buy the iphone from apple online store without any contract with AT&T/Cingular? I also read somewhere that apple developed a software which locked the phone?

What I want to do is just buy the phone and then use it as mp3/video player and use features like calendar, camera. browsing.

8. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I know what your saying... but for the same price you could have a thinner device with double the memory, the camera really isnt great anyway.

9. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Since you're out of contract, get the iPhone and activate it on AT&T. You have 14 days to go back to Verizon without being charged an ETF from At&t. If at&t works for you, you'll be much happier with an iPhone than a touch.

10. mmq75 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thanks but I have a contract with verizon for 2 more years otherwise i would have changed to att. Right now I don't want to pay termination fee so i was thinking of just buying the phone as an ipod.

I did a bit of research and i think you can buy the phone from apple store without any contract commitment. Phone will be shipped but it will only work once i activate it with att contract (through itunes). People have hacked this procedure so they can use it with other SIMS however I was wondering whether i could just use the phone features without using it as a phone.

11. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

12. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

He said he likes the iphone... :)

13. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

You can buy the phone anywhere without the contract.

I was in a Verizon contract too. I used the 14 days to test at&t.

I discovered 2 things. (1) At&t has the most dropped calls. (2) The iPhone is worth using on an inferior network and possibly worth an ETF.

14. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

To summarise:

1. You can buy the iPhone without committing to a contract
    2. The phone will be a brick until you activate it
    3. If you don't want to Activate it, you can use special software to open it up for regular use, but you wont be able to use the phone features of it
    4. The camera really isn't that great, if that's your only reason for the iPhone over the touch, perhaps you should take a few days and think about it, and/or go to an Apple store and try both out

15. mmq75 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks to everyone for commenting. The picture is more clear now.

Obviously my motivation to get iphone is to get the most features like camera and calendar. I want to treat it as a pda.

I will think about it and will comapre the two and then decide. Thanks for your input