A question about iTunes Match and ownership

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exhibit.b, Sep 11, 2011.

1. exhibit.b macrumors regular

So if I have a lot of music that I have ripped or downloaded in my library then I pay for a year of iTunes Match, I can download all the iTunes version of all that music. But what happens at the end of the year and I don't renew my subscription? Will that music still be able to be downloaded as a previous purchase?

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

No one really knows. But i think $24.99 a year to "legally" download all the music you want and get it transferred to legit files is worth it :D

3. maclook macrumors 65816

In addition to the OP's question, I really want to know if
    1. You can pay for the subscription with iTunes credit
    2. It really is streaming (despite Apple denying it using weird wording)

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It is not streaming and no, you don't get to automatically convert your illegally downloaded crappy bitrate music to 256K iTunes versions.
    :)
    The music on your computer will remain on your computer.
    If iTunes can match your music it will do so in the cloud and you will be able to download the high-quality versions on to your phone.
    But that's on your phone only.
    The music on your computer is still the original music you always had -- it doesn't change.
    If you stop your subscription you lose cloud access to all of the music that you had matched but again, your original files are still on your computer.

5. exhibit.b thread starter macrumors regular

It's not limited to your phone only. You can use iTunes on the computer. So if I have a computer at work I can get download my entire library from the cloud. I can replace my lower quality music on my computer.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The music is limited to 10 devices so there's got to be some sort of DRM involved to enforce this limitation.
    Stop your subscription and you probably lose your rights to the matched music.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Yeah, because you can't 'illegally' download great quality music files.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

[Don't suppose you noticed the smiley.]
    Of course you can but if its already in great quality you don't need the music match upgrade do you?

9. Mascots, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

FYI, you can delete those original files off your computer and download them as 256kpbs iTunes versions or download them as full quality tracks to another computer. iCloud extends beyond iOS devices.

No, it means up to 10 devices can have access to your iCloud iTunes library at once not that the files are playable on 10 computers.

Edit, posted this before in another thread: