a question about leoperd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tucson Boy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Tucson Boy macrumors newbie

I have a question about leoperd. i'm planning to buy the new iMac but im wondering if leoperd comes out and i upgrade to it. is anything going to be erased like in windows everything goes away and is it easy to install leoperd??

Thanks

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

When installing Mac OS there are two options. Archive and Install and Erase and Install.

Archive and Install erases ONLY your system files, leaving your files where they are, and installs new, updated system files. So yes, you can keep your files when you upgrade.

One more reason Mac OS is better then windows :)

3. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

yes, the archive & install is a neat option, but that may leave you to reinstall certain apps if they have a connection to your system files.

4. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

The above posters are a bit misinformed...

If you buy a new Mac right now, it will come with Mac OS 10.4 Tiger. Then, when you try to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard after its release in October, you will have the option to "Upgrade" in addition to the normal "Archive and Install" or "Erase and Install" options. An Upgrade installation of Leopard will leave all installed programs, system files, etc et all intact while performing all the necessary system file changes to upgrade your OS. If everything goes as it should, you'll be running Leopard in virtual no time at all after buying it with all of your preferences and applications still exactly as you had them.