A Question About Logic Boards

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M0bile, May 22, 2009.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that my logic board may be near failure and I'm taking it to the Apple store to confirm. I've read that logic boards are expensive to replace. I'm out of warranty on my mid-2006 MacBook Pro (15", 2 GHz Core Duo) so I was looking on eBay to see if there were any that were cheaper than what I read it would cost to replace through Apple (~$900). Do I need a specific logic board model or will any one work? Thanks for the help.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, you will need a specific model. It's not something I recommend you do yourself.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need the specific one for your MBP ... and it's major surgery to replace it.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Although if you got the lower end Macbook Pro, you should be able to use a higher end (of the same generation) board in its place, as it's just a CPU speed and vram difference.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Look for ones with the 2.16GHz (T2600) processor.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Apple may offer you a deal on repair. As long as it's fairly well taken care of, and original equipment is in the machine, they sometimes offer around $300 for repair - fix everything to get it working again.

7. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I do not intend to do it myself. My next question is whether or not an Apple store will replace my logic board if I have my own, assuming I pay for the work?

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I don't think the official Apple Stores install 3rd party items. Well, the one in Sydney, AU said they wouldn't install a HDD that I brought in. It's probably because if by any chance they damage the part you brought in, who gets the bill? How much is it worth?

9. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. It's technically not "third party" since it's an Apple part, just that I didn't buy it through Apple. I guess I'll find out when I go to the Apple store. Thanks again for all the replies!