a Question about my AT&T iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BlindSoul, Mar 10, 2011.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello.

I've bought an iPhone 4 on the Apple Store in America about 3 months ago, and I'm already 3 months without a cell phone, ( Because there's no unlock for BB 02.10.04 yet, and seems like it never will ).
    Anyways, Back to my story... About a week after i got my iPhone i went to my carrier at Israel: Orange. and I've asked them if they can unlock my iPhone 4. At first they said yeah, that it's possible and there's no problem. But when i mentioned It's from AT&T in America they said it's against their interest with AT&T and they can't unlock it.
    Now i was wondering if i go now and tell them I found the iPhone and haven't bought it in America will they be available to see somehow it's from AT&T?
    by the Serial number or anything?
    Is it even possible for them to do such a thing or am I wasting my time?
    What also i should be aware of that they won't suspect?

Thank you very much! :)

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

They cannot unlock those phones (unless they are doing it illegally suing stolen codes which I doubt), When a Phone get locked to a carrier only (I repeat....ONLY) that carrier can generate unlocking codes (no even Apple get those codes, they way they do it is accessing remotely the carriers servers). Whoever told you that information it is just misinformed.

Unless they are using "unofficial" tool to unlock phones, which while possible, very unlikely.

3. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

What i know they do is that they giving you a USIM and then you insert a code and it's unlocked...

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, that code is generate by AT&T and AT&T only, no carrier on Israel or anywhere else can generate those codes.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

It makes no difference to the original poster but you are wrong in your perception of how official unlocking works. Neither att or any other carrier generates any codes to unlock an iphone. Only apple can generate the codes and the phone is unlocked through itunes.

All that the carrier does is to connect to apple servers and log the details of the phone as eligible for an unlock. Everything else is done by apple.

A carrier can only log an iphone as eligible for an unlock that has been sold through that carrier. Hence only ATT can arrange through apple to unlock an ATT phone.

6. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well, On another thread one guy said he went to his Carrier in the Netherlands ( T-Mobile ) and they unlocked it for him with no issue...

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This is not an issue. You have to arrange the unlock through the carrier. The way it typically works is you make the request to the carrier providing all the details of your phone. They log the request and tell you that you will receive an SMS message when the job is complete. Within ten days you receive an SMS message saying your phone is unlocked and you need to connect it to itunes.

You then put a non official carrier SIM in the phone connect to itunes and a message pops up saying "Congratulations your phone is now unlocked"

The codes are sent by apple through itunes.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well... suit yourself, but you are wrong, only carrier can generate those code, no even Apple. It is not required that you believe me, @OP good luck having another carrier unlocking "officially" a At&T locked phone.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Read my message carefully I never said anything about ATT phones being unlocked by another carrier. They cannot arrange it. What I said is that only apple unlocks the phone and this is based on the database that the carrier creates on the apple server.

Perhaps you would like to explain how the carrier sends the unlock codes through itunes?

10. dyn macrumors 68030

Apple does not use unlocking codes for the iPhone. I believe the carrier puts your iPhone's IMEI on Apple's unlocked list. You then connect the iPhone with iTunes and it will detect that the device has been unlocked. It will then download and install new carrier settings. That's it.

T-Mobile NL has lost it's exclusivity. KPN and Vodafone are now also selling iPhones with accompanying plans. However those two have been selling unlocked iPhones. That made T-Mobile NL decide to do the same starting from 12-01-2011. People who already bought the iPhone 4 also got the unlock, you simply had to connect the iPhone to iTunes since T-Mobile NL put every iPhone 4 they sold on the unlock list. Older iPhones are not on this list since this isn't necessary. The Dutch carriers have made an agreement that whoever sticks to a carrier for more than 1 year will have the possibility to unlock for free (before that you can unlock but you have to pay for it). You simply contact the carrier and tell them you want to unlock the phone. You'll then receive an unlock code you need to enter on the phone but that's where the iPhones deviate (see first paragraph).

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I believe we are saying the same thing, except for the fact that apple does a bit more when you connect to itunes than change a carrier setting.

12. dyn macrumors 68030

We do but I specified it to the Dutch T-Mobile since the TS was referring to them.

13. Federico macrumors member

If you bought an unlocked iPhone in Canada and you have a problem... when you get a replacement in the US (locked iPhone), the new iPhone wiill be unlocked.

They DO NOT USE unlock codes, every iPhone have a profile, if you get a replacement, they will transfer the unlocked profile.

14. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

In the bottom line... Should i go tomorrow and try? or will it be a 100% a waste of time?

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

100 percent waste of time. Next time buy one in the apple store in Canada or London they come factory unlocked. Only apple US store sells locked phones.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Everything you say is true except for the fact that the new phone will not be unlocked until you connect it to itunes and the unlock code to open up the sec zone on the baseband is transferred to the phone. The unlock profile is transferred to the apple servers for the new phone, this is what authorizes itunes to open up the baseband for other sims.

17. Federico macrumors member

When you load a new firmware or restore/reset an iPhone, you have to use iTunes in order to process the activation, every time that you do that, iTunes check if the emei/SN is in the "white list" (unlocked profile).

The only thing that I'm not sure... if every time that you update the firmware (baseband change) the iPhone get locked, I will try that next time when I update my Canadian's iPhone to 4.3, and then I will process the activation with the jailbreak and see if the unlock remains ;)

Mnnn did the 4.3 come with a new baseband? :rolleyes:

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not going to happen.
    Another carrier cannot officially unlock an iphone not sold thru them or in their system.
    Try it anyway if you dont believe and see how far you get.

Exactly.
    The replacement/refurb will have the same properties as the one you handed in to be exchanged.

19. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Why yes it did. 5.16.xx for 3GS and 4.10.01 for iPhone 4.

20. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay if you guys say so. But seriously.
    In Israel if i would go buy an iPhone on one carrier and i would go to another carrier they'd glad to unlock it for me for only $20 USD. So yeah... Heard that from many people where I live.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then go try it.
    What's stopping you?:D

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

^1+ if it's that easy you could already be unlocked. Do it today with out delay. Good luck OP if you were so positive from the start. Then I don't understand why you started this thread.

23. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

I never said anything you guys said is wrong i'm just asking how is it possible... There wasn't even a little disrespect in the things you've said.

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

People keep saying you can't! You keep saying but others are doing it. So just go try then we will all know. Maybe things are different in Israel.