A question about pitch

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by am1971, Jun 13, 2007.

1. am1971 macrumors member

Can anyone offer advice on the following?

I'm using Sound Studio 3 to do my recordings and from time to time I need to increase or decrease the pitch of my voice for various characters I use. However, the pitch in Sound Studio itself and the Apple audio units tend to make the final products sound slightly 'garbled' (I can't think of a better way to put it). Almost like the voice has a warble.

Is there anything I can use or do to ensure the voice, whether it's pitched up or down, sounds more 'pure'?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

2. jmulls macrumors newbie

Recording voice

Are you recording voice? I'm looking to record voice/music with a Mac and create a CD. My wife was a vocal performance major and I would like to make a CD. What software do you recommend?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if you want pro results, go to a studio.

it's not about the software. it's about the room, the mic, the pre, the outboard gear, the conversion, and engineering skills. much cheaper and faster to go to a studio.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The farther you move the pitch, the worse it will sound. Try to get as close as you can with the performance, so the maniplation is lessened.

Also, the quality of the pitch shifting is dependant on the sophistication of the software. You can use expensive software like Antares or Melodyne to do a better job, or dedicated hardware like the TC-Helicon series of boxes.

5. am1971 thread starter macrumors member