A question about portfolios

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Mar 3, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

I know there is no real set answer to this question, I am just curious about what other people do with their online portfolios.

There are a few sites I work on where clients overtime have insisted on doing updates themselves. With mixed results obviously. It's usually text updates, but they make a mess of the formatting which drives me nuts being from a print background.

They are still sites I have worked on though, and work I am/was very happy with. Should live links be posted to these sites with a disclaimer mentioning what I posted above? Or should I use screenshots that accurately represent MY work at the point I completed it?

Thanks for any advice.

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

It's perfectly reasonable to post links to and / or screenshots of projects you've been involved in. Would be good if you have a caption or short description which outlines your involvement in the project. But if there is no room in your design for this, then you will have the chance to talk through projects with anyone who cares to ask later :)

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

only show work that reflects well upon you.

If the client has made poor updates, show a screenshot.

4. memco macrumors 6502

I don't remember where exactly I read it, but someone had mentioned that it's generally a good idea *not* to show all of your work. At first it might be a bit of a necessity, but after a while you can have too much info. Give a good handful of sites that show your talents; some recent, some older.

5. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

My portfolio section is called 'current projects'. So it's more just a sampling of stuff I work on. I wouldn't post everything because as you said, it would be overkill for a web site.

But that is another issue from the screenshots vs. live links, and people editing sites issue.