A Question about refurb macs and the OS

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by judelawandme, Mar 25, 2009.

1. judelawandme macrumors newbie

I'm waiting to get a macbook for college after snow leopard releases. If i were to get a refurb macbook after snow leopard releases what OS would it have on it? Would they put snow leopard on it or leave it with leopard?

2. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I think they would give you a disc with it that would contain the latest version of the operating system.

A related question is how long does it take for refurbished models to show up in the online store after a new refresh? For example if they release a minor update in july, how long until they are available as refurbs? 1-3 months?

3. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

So wait. Does Apple not update their software?

How often do they come out with new Operating Systems?

Whats gonna be new with Leopard?

Sorry, new to Apple... or Mac rather.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Version 10.6 will be coming down the pipe most likely first half of 2010, maybe the very end of this year.

5. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Oh so they do update their OS? Then whats Leopard or whatever they are talking about then?

A complete new OS just like Vista and Windows 7 and Windows XP?

But they do have updates for current OS right like say mine is OS X (ten haha so thats what it is) 10.5.6

Whats the difference going to be between Leopard and OSX?

6. IrishSniper87 macrumors regular

Jobs himself said last June that Snow Leopard would be ready in a year.

Thats puts us a few months away.

Granted Snow Leopard will prob be buggy when it's first released.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Leopard is the current version of OS X (10.5). Snow Leopard is going to be the next version (10.6) It's supposed to be a fairly major update, including the transition to a fully 64-bit based operating system, and better handling of GPUs to allow them to parallel process with the CPU. You can read up about it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/ as well as numerous posts on any of the techblogs (engadget/gizmodo/your blog of choice)

The updates Apple does within the OS are referred to by the 3rd digit in the numbering system. We're currently at 10.5.6, so the 6th update of version 10.5. With that said, 10.5.7 will be dropping very soon judging by the developer releases that have been out recently. These updates are free, like Windows Updates.

The upgrade from 10.5-->10.6 however, will not be free unless you've just purchased the computer within a week or two of the release usually. The upgrade price is usually $129, as you purchase the full install DVD to do the upgrade.

8. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Oh I see. I probably wont notice a difference then. I just read the stuff online and I dont think it will benefit me. I think its aimed for more powerful users.