A question about specification

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marmets, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Marmets macrumors newbie

Marmets

Greetings,

I'm thinking of buying Macbook Pro for myself. AlI I do with my PC right now is web developing and designing. Would you recommend me buying Macbook Pro with the specs below:
    Processor - 2,2GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM - 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6750 1024MB
    HDD - 750GB
    15" display with anti glare ( resolution 1680x1050 instead of 1440x900 )

The macbook is used and the motherboard is replaced with the another one.

I would like to know if it can handle designing logos etc. and web developing?
    Maybe you have anything else to say (what should I know about Macbooks).

Have a great day,
    Marmets

2. leman macrumors G3

It can certainly handle it, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. Its an old computer, without warranty, and with GPU that is known to be prone to failures. How much are they asking?

3. Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

Thank you for your answer.

They are asking €600 for it. Maybe I should look around and find any better Macbook Pros out there.

4. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

Avoid any of the 2011 MacBook Pros, they all have a high failure rate. Look for a 2012-2015 model with 16Gb RAM and an SSD if you're buying second hand. Otherwise, the specs you listed would have been fine for the uses you stated.

5. leman macrumors G3

Wow, 600 for a 6 year old obsolete computer? Thats something ;)

6. Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

Thank you, I hope that I will find some 2012-15 models. I appreciate your feedback.
    Well yes, €600 is the price of the Macbook Pro.

Would 12" or 13" display be too small for designing and web developing? I think it's about the personal preferences.

And what specification I should look for? All I need is that Macbook Pro can handle designing and web development. :D

7. Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

Is Macbook Air bad for designing and web development?

8. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Airs screen is bad. Color accuracy and pixel density. 6years without update...

What's ur budget? Under 1000€ get a 13" MBP from 2012/13

For coding external monitor would be good. So u do not need necessarily a 15"MBP

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

It's not the best computer for this usage, because how something looks on its screen is different than how it will look on the higher resolution screens that are becoming commonplace.

A retina MacBook or MacBook Pro w/ retina display is probably the best match for your usage, budget permitting. Refurbished 4k iMacs can often be purchased for a reasonable price as well.

10. Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

Well I think I'm going to buy the 2011 Macbook Pro. It's not Retina but I really like it because it looks great and it has no scratches. The one I posted before. Maybe I find anything better but I just need a great Macbook Pro for designing and web development. I think 13" is a bit too small for my needs.

11. maerz001, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

When u "just need a great" one than u buy a computer because it has no scratches??? Ok. Than why did u ask us? Everybody in this thread recommend not to buy this one because it has HDD, high GPU failure rate, too expensive and no retina.

At least go for one with SSD if u can't afford a Retina display

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

And you are quite entitled to buy it for those reasons. They just have zero to do with how it will perform for your intended purpose. Your questions do take effort for others to answer, you seem OK to waste people's time...

13. robvas macrumors 68030

It is (or at least was at one time) one of the most popular laptops for web developers.

Take that as you will.

14. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Maybe before the retinas where announced. But we live now in 2017 :)

15. ZapNZs, Sep 19, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

You are literally choosing to purchase a computer that will break (likely sooner than later), and will cost several hundred dollars to repair, if you can find the parts. The long-term cost of ownership with the 2011 15-inch models are probably higher than with the retinas. Additionally, what looks "good" on that system's display may look terrible on the displays on most modern Windows and Apple PCs, and televisions.

I own a 2011 15-inch in flawless, like-new cosmetic condition. The dGPU died and was replaced under the recall program. 16 months later the replacement logic board crapped out for the same reason. Mine doesn't have any scratches on it either... The 2011 15-inch is the Ford Pinto of MacBooks.

16. Marmets, Sep 19, 2017

Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

Yes, you are right. I will look around and try to find a better one and I will contact you again. I didn't pay attention on the specification before and I didn't listen to you because I was only thinking about the Macbook and it's outfit.

As I said - thank you everyone. I will look around, try to find another macbook and I will contact you again.

Have a great day,
    Marmets
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    And I already have a PC I bought last year but I feel like PC is not the thing for me. I really liked my old laptop because it was small and comfortable, for me.

17. Marmets, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

Hi, I was looking for another Macbook Pro which should fit to my budget. I found 2012 MID Macbook Pro 15.4".

Specs:

CPU: 2.3Ghz Quad-Core Core i7 processor

Display: 15.4" LED-backlit TFT, Max Resolution: 1440x900

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (I'm not sure about this one)

SSD: 250GB Flash drive (Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series)

RAM: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM memory

Serial Number (system): C02HJCXXDV33

Battery: Cycle count - 1069, Status - Good

Price: 600€

I appreciate your time you spend helping me. What do you think?

18. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

That serial number leads to here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...re-i7-2.3-15-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

For your work I suspect you'd want 16 GB RAM. Fortunately, I think that is the last model that allows user replaceable RAM. That means you could work with 8 GB at first and see how it goes. If that's not enough, you can add RAM later. Also, it has USB 3 so that is good, as you don't want to get a primary machine in 2017 with just USB 2. It's also good that it has a Samsung 840 Pro.

Too bad it does not have a Retina screen though. But then again, the Retina models have soldered on RAM.

Also the battery will likely need to be replaced soon. You'll probably have bad battery life with a cycle count of 1069.

19. Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

I found one more Macbook:
    Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13.3" 2.4/8GB/256GB SSD (Late 2013)
    2.4Ghz Dual-Core Core i5 processor
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L RAM memory
    256GB Flash drive
    13.3" Retina display. Resolution 2560x1600
    Intel HD 4000

20. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Just be aware you can't upgrade the RAM on that. Screen size is also a bit small for your work, but another option is to use an external monitor.

21. maerz001, Sep 21, 2017

maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

actually I don't think that u need 16GB of RAM for the next few years of macOS and lets say mid level design processes. unless u really develop huge projects.
    but than u would be experienced enough to know ur demand and should invest more than 600€ on ur money making machine...

with the specs of the retina 13" there is something wrong. either its a 2012 model (HD 4000) or it should be Iris 5100 for late 2013, which is much better.

comparison:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-13-Late-2013-Notebook.105035.0.html

the 15" will have more power and is easily expandable. but portability and nicer screen on the 13" way better. personally I would go for the retina

22. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I'm no expert but a friend of mine is a web designer. He spends his time in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, various browsers, email, etc. and runs a VM for Windows compatibility testing I believe. He does fine with 24 GB, but 16 GB for him isn't quite enough. That's for his work. Others may need less but then again he says others might need 32 GB.

For the record, I am NOT a designer but use mostly just office applications with a few other things thrown in and sometimes there is a second user logged on (my wife) because she didn't bother to log out of my machine after using it.

I find that in that scenario, 6-8 GB is usually fine, but sometimes I need a bit more. And if I were to add in a VM - which I don't do now but which I have done in the past - then I'd want 12 GB or more. So, my iMac is configured to 24 GB and my MacBook is configured to 16 GB... and it sounds like my needs might be lighter than the OP's.

That said, for my kitchen surfing machine, even just 4 GB is enough most of the time, although occasionally it'd be nice to have 8 GB.

---

I guess I'm saying is that you want minimum 8 GB for anything more than very basic usage, but if you're a designer, it seems like the needs can jump significantly higher than 8 GB fairly quickly, depending upon your workflow.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    Note that while it's true that current versions of macOS feature memory compression, I do feel that doing a lot of memory compression may impact performance. I occasionally see slow downs even when the swap is not used. This is in times when significant memory compression is active. Add more memory and these slowdowns disappear. I suspect what is happening here is that with these old machines, the CPUs are slow enough that overhead from memory compression and imperfect memory allocation schemes can impact performance enough to be noticeable, even if you don't hit the swap file.

23. maerz001, Sep 21, 2017

maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

EugW u r right. but 600€ is a tough budget for Macs:)

I'm running AutoCAD, Indesign, Gimp and the usual safari, office stuff with no problem on 8GB. Sometimes additional Win VM with 3GB and than RAM compression gets in the orange zone. Yes than I wish to have 16GB but somehow I can deal with it.

maybe the 15" is than the better choice cos its easily expendable. ahhhh its just such a brick;-)

24. Marmets thread starter macrumors newbie

Marmets

Wow, I had a lot to read. I think I've made my decision. I'm going for the 13" Retina Macbook Pro. Do you have anything else to say to me like what should I know about Macbooks?