A question about switching region on Apple ID

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Nghia Nguyen, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Nghia Nguyen macrumors member

Nghia Nguyen

Hi all,

I used to live in the US - hence from the beginning, my Apple ID was based in the US.

I've relocated back to Vietnam for a while - but since I've purchased so many music albums and apps through out the years, I didn't want to switch region because all of my previous purchases will be gone. I've maintained the status of US region for my account by buying gift cards.

Now Apple Music is out. I'm trying out the trial and loving it. Apple Music is also available in Vietnam for the unbelievable cost of $2.99/month. I just can't help it but to seriously consider switching the region to Vietnam on my account for good. Another advantage to this is I don't need to overpay for the gift cards any more, I can just use my Vietnam-based credit card now.

So my first question is: will my previous purchases be gone forever? Do I have to repurchase all the apps?

If for some magical reason I won't have to, thank the Old Gods and the new ones.

But I know Apple will be also always be Apple, hence if the answer is predictably no, my next question is: is there any other way to leverage the Apple Music's low cost in Vietnam while still being able to use all my current apps?

My wife has a Vietnam-based Apple ID. I wonder if she uses the free trial, and by the end of it, switch to the family plan and add me. Will I have to switch region if she does so?

Any input for this is very much appreciated.

Thanks all!

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

I have an US Account for Apple Music and a german Account for other things. You can keep the apps on your current Apple ID and simply sign up to Apple Music with a new one. When theres an app update for the apps on your "current" ID it will simply ask for the password and they will update even though you are actually logged in with the new ID using Apple Music. does that make sense to u?

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I am in a similar position and never had a problem. I lived in the US for 15 years and my original ID was in the US. I moved back to Europe four years ago and opened another id to have access to content that was not available in the US.
    I switch stores constantly and content purchases and updates remain with store in which the transaction was done.
    One thing to note my US account no longer has a credit card associated with it and that is not a problem.

4. chrispfeiffer21 macrumors newbie

nebo1ss is right, you have to swap stores. I feel this is a weakness of Apple's content management. What might work (though I have never tried it) is to create a new Apple ID for your iTunes Purchases in Vietnam, and then set up Family Sharing between your old Apple ID in the US and the new one. Use your old US Apple ID for your iCloud stuff, but the new one for your new purchases on the Vietnam store. Give it a try, I'd be interested to know if that works. :)