A question about temperature...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grayer, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Grayer macrumors newbie

Hi, I've had my macs for a couple of weeks and I've read several posts on the forums about the mbp temperatures. I saw one in which someone said that with a light load it should be around 50-65 degrees. The thing is that only with spotify, safari, and adium open it already hits de 60. I consider that a VERY light load.
    what will happen when i run vmware fusion with win xp? or bootcamp?
    In istat pro is says exhaust fan is running at 2k.
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2000rpm is the normal fan speed.

Have a look at Activity Monitor and see what processes might use the CPU a little bit more than much, which could explain the higher temperature.

[​IMG]

Also some people use SMC Fan Control or Fan Control to either manually set the fan speed or let the speed of the fans go up or down according to temperature.

SMC Fan Control
    [​IMG]

Fan Control
    [​IMG]

3. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply.
    Here is a screenshot of the activity monitor:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: fail image. The activity monitor says
    %User: 8.03
    %Syste:7.02
    %Nice:0.00
    %idle:84.95

As you can see I'm using very little CPU, but the temperature ranges between 55-65ºC. Should I put more speed on the fan? Say 2.8k or so.

4. macagain macrumors regular

I've had my uMBP (refurb 2.53) for about 3 weeks now, which replaced my 2.16 C2D (another refurb, which has been flawless for more that 2 1/2 years).

I've been mostly using it with a 24" external monitor, until this week, when i went on the road for the first time with it. Here's what surprised me.

Without the external monitor, it consistently runs about 20-30 deg. cooler! Regardless of whether I use the 9400 or the 9600, it stays mostly in the low to mid 40's. With the external monitor, regardless of with GPU, it'll swing between high 50's/low 60's to high 70's. This is all with "light" usage, mainly browser, mail, iChat open.

Certainly did not see this diff in the old mbp.

Anyone else see this?

-r

5. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I be worried that by playing say the facebook poker or something the cpu temp goes up to to 65-70 degrees? Should I change the fan speed?

6. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I would say 65-70 is absolutely fine, I would only start to worry about 80+

right now with only safari open mine is 59 on an mstand. for example I use smc fancontrol if I'm watching some flash vids in bed and the air flow isn't great

Yours are well within the norm though :)