A Question about the iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kidwithdimples, Jul 17, 2008.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Since I can't buy the new 3G iPhone because I am with T-Mobile and the 3G is basically useless for T-Mobile.

I found a 2G iPhone on craigslist for $290. It comes with the box and everything included.

Should I buy it or wait and get the new 3G iPhone since it gets on ebay or craigslist.

2. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alll the 3G iPhone hype killed my 2G iPhone thread :(

3. gts197 macrumors regular

If the 2g is your only option, I highly recommend it. You wont regret it.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

5. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never bought anything off craigslist. I do know you have to meet up with the person face to face and get your product. He gave his cell # so, should I call and just ask him about it and ask for a few more pictures?

6. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I just bought a 1st gen iphone from a guy on craigslist. We met at a mall. outside of some anomalies (waiting time and phone condition) the transaction went smoothly. check the phone to make sure it powers on,the screen functions, etc. Chances are things will go fine, but prudence is always wise (huh?).

I assume you will pay in cash. be prepared to ask for a lower amount, but only if you need to. The one I got had listed as excellent condition, but when I saw it there were a few dings and scratches on the metal back and small scratch on the screen (only visible when off). He was amiable and we knocked the price down to a level I was comfortable with.

common sense and public places are your friend. Also, be willing to walk away. you can always find another one.

7. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. Once I meet the guy in person... should I put my sim into the iPhone and see if it works or not?

Or what should I first check to see if the iPhone functions well enough?

8. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I am far-and-away not an expert, so take what I say with a whole pillar of salt.

As far as I know, the phone will not be active w/ your sim card until you activate in itunes. After I bought the phone, I went into the mall to the corporate AT&T store and within a couple of minutes they gave me a new sim card for free and I just had to go and activate on itunes on my computer. the phone would not function until I did that.

I could, however, work the non-phone aspect of the device (iEverythingElse). The guy I was buying from had not actually wiped his device, so I was able to open his music in the ipod feature. I heard it come out of the internal speaker. You could also try the headphone jack to make sure it works (if you're bringing your own phones remember that the jack is recessed and most headphones won't fit). I just played around for a couple of minutes and made sure that the screen responded to my touch generally (left side/right side, top/bottom/middle, etc.) and didn't notice any dead spots. I also didn't see any dead/stuck pixels.

that was basically all I did, but if anyone else has better suggestions, pour 'em on.

9. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

10. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

It keeps on going to his voicemail. I left two voicemails but he didn't call me.

So I gave up and looked on Ebay for one. I don't have an ebay account so my friend is going to order it for me.

With all the 2G unlocked, jailbroken iPhones on ebay, it says on the description part that all you have to do is insert your t-mobile sim card and it will work right away.

I don't think I have to activate mine over iTunes, right? I am with T-Mobile, not AT$T.

11. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well here is the latest news: I gave up on the craigslist and my work partner helped me to win a bid on ebay for an 8gb iPhone 2G.

I'll report back when I have it on my hand.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

When you get it, it should be activated and unlocked. Just put your SIM in and then connect to iTunes for syncing.

Obviously, when iTunes says to update your phone, say "No..."

13. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is iTunes going to sync my music to the 8GB iPhone? If it is then I don't want it to sync my music to the phone. I have a 8GB nano for the music.

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

definitely get the first gen. in my opinion, [puts on flame suit] the 3G isn't worth it. there really isn't much difference and there isn't currently an unlock and from what i've heard the 3G isn't compatible with T-mo's network.

i'm actually really glad i got my 1st gen before they all disappeared.

EDIT: saw that you won a first gen... YAY! Enjoy it your iPhone!!

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

When you hook it up, you pick it on the left in iTunes, then on the iPhone screen, go across the tabs and pick what you want to sync. Then hit the sync button on the bottom right.

Just like your Nano...

16. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 2G iPhone 8GB just arrived at my work place this morning. It's in excellent condition and everything is working fine. I didn't put my sim yet since I am still at work.

It has the 1.1.4 version with the Installer app that I see on the front screen.

And now here I start asking n00bie questions:

1. I see a lot of people have Cydia instead of Installer. Do I need that?

2. Since I am with T-Mobile and I only have the 400 texting plan... how do I disable Edge? I don't want to get billed for using it. I am fine with Wi-Fi.

3. On my macbook, I think I have the latest version of iTunes. Do I need to downgrade before plugging the iPhone in? or I can just hit the "Ignore" button when it asks me to update??
    More questions to come.

Thanks!

17. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

BUMP!

I am kind of excited to play around with it since it's my first iPhone. And a lot of people still suggest a 2G.