A question about the iPhone 4 tax.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slash59, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Slash59 macrumors newbie

First of all hi, new member here hoping you guys can help me with some questions I have.

I live in California and want to get an iPhone 4, but I dont want to pay the ridiculous tax. If I was to buy my phone in Nevada, would I still have to pay the tax? Thanks.

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Depends on your local laws.

Most states that have sales tax also have a use tax for goods you buy as a resident while out of the state. It's not very well enforced though.

If the retailer will charge tax in Nevada, that's up to if Nevada has sales tax, and/or if they have an agreement with California to collect sales tax from California residents.

3. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

You can buy your iPhone from Walmart. They don't charge the CA luxury tax on the $500 price of the phone. You only pay tax on the $199.

I will never buy from AT&T or Apple in CA again. Walmart also get's them in stock everyday!

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you were to be in Nevada, you could buy it there at nevada tax. Oregon has no tax what so ever, so if you happen to be by there, thats the best place to buy the phone :p

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It's not $500, it's $699 sir. I paid about $190 in taxes for my three phones >.>

6. leftcoast macrumors member

I did not get charged any taxes, I ordered through att premier delivered to Sacramento CA $199 out the door.

7. ddavid macrumors regular

Does California charge a tax on phones over and above regular sales tax? A Luxury Tax?? WTF, why do you guys keep voting for these people that do this crap to you?

Edit:
    I just Googled and found this:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/5/21/868429/-Sales-Tax-on-Full-Retail-Price-in-California

8. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, you are lucky with your taxes. Throughout the states it varies from 0 to 8%. Over here in The Netherlands we have to pay 19% tax everytime we buy something!

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

We pay taxes on the un subsidized price. So you'll pay $599 worth of taxes on the 16GB iPhone, and $699 worth of taxes on the 32GB. Fun.

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

9.25% in California, sir.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

We too. Over here we just have to pay 19% extra to our government. And with everything I mean everything. Even food (although I believe with food it's a bit lower, but still between 5-10%).

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Pfff, only 19% ?

That can we Danes only dream about ;)

13. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

California isn't the only state that charges tax on the full, unsubsidized cost of a cell phone and it's not new. Been around for at least 10 years, probably more.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I got mine at Walmart also and did not even notice the lower sales tax until I got home and thought about it. I wonder if Walmart is doing this on purpose or if it is a mistake.

15. TXLady macrumors newbie

For the California folks

Do you have to pay taxes on phones if you order from Amazon?

I live in Texas and often, even if I can find something at the same price locally, I will buy from Amazon to save the 8.25% (includes city tax) it would cost me here. But I've never ordered a phone from them.

16. Slash59 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys. We called some of the stores in Carson City and Reno, but they still said we would get charged the tax. We ended up just buying from the Apple store online and paying the tax. Guess the state needs the money to give Arnold some English lessons.:p

17. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Yep me too I had $498 billed for 2 phones no tax and same area from AT&T