A question about the newest Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kristoffer4, Jan 19, 2011.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I am thinking about picking up the newest Airport Express since my old G version keeps timing out. The plan is to use the old one for Airplay on my stereo but when I use the old model won't my net default to G wifi instead of N?

Also how much speed different will I notice with new N Airport Expres in day to day life compared to my old Airport Express ? :)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

the fastest N speeds are on 5GHz. If you wan't to be able to connect with B/G, you need to use 2.4GHz. It's still faster than regular B/G though, and yes, you will see some performance hit having a G device connected, but it will still be faster than what you have now.
    also 2.4 goes through walls better, so if you're a couple rooms over, you'll probably have better luck with it anyway.

as far as day to day, you probably will only see a bump in speeds in stuff you're doing on your network. The speeds of (a good) G connection and most home internet connections in the US are about the same. And the only time i really max out my connection is downloading from apple.
    But if you're doing a lot of internal file transfers you will definitely see a speed bump.
    My G network maxes out about 1.5 MB/s
    My N network maxes out about 8 - 9 MB/s

3. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4