A question about transferring files to new MB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Oct 15, 2008.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am wanting to transfer files from my iMac to my new MB which arrives tomorrow. Is it somehow possible just to transfer my documents and music files? I don't really want the programs to go across?

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

another question is...

Usually they tell you to do the transfer via firewire... the new macbook has no firewire.... now what? Ethernet?

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

with the new MB's not having firewire.. i guess it depends on the total size you want to transfer?

you could do it all over wifi... or ethernet is preferred for faster speeds...

if you have say > 100gb to transfer and you dont have ethernet, then maybe using an external usb2.0 hard drive or something??

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Do it via the network, ethernet or wireless.

Go to Sys Prefs on the iMac, go to Sharing, enable file transfer.

Then when you get the Macbook the iMac should be visible in the left hand pane in Finder, then you can just drag and drop all your gear.

If that doesn't work go back to Sharing in sys pref, in file transfer go to options, and enable SMB and tick the check box for your account.

If you don't have a router, then you'll have to buy a crossover cable of some sort.

Apple will also transfer it for free if you go down to the store. But you don't really want to lug an iMac down there.

Other than that, get yourself a crap load of DVD's and start burning :D

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

External HDD is the best choice.

If you do it on DVDs, make sure to burn the music folders directly from

user>music>iTunes>iTunes Music (artist and album folders are here, as well as podcasts/movies)

I would do something like: artists 0 - E on one DVD, F-K on another DVD..etc..

Once all the folders themselves are burned to DVD, copy all contents of:

user>music>iTunes (this contains the "iTunes Music" folder, Assuming you saved the contents of it, delete this folder.) Once the folder is deleted, or at least skipped, you should easily fit the rest of the files on CD or DVD.

These files include:
    Album artwork (folder)
    iTunes Library
    iTunes Music (folder. Save this seperately as it is the largest.)
    iTunes Library Extras.itdb
    iTunes Library Genius.itdb
    iTunes Music Library.xml
    Previous iTunes Libraries (not really important, at least not to me)
    Temp File.tmp (no clue what that even is.)

When you get the new mac, Open the Music folder, and drop everything back the way it was. If there is already an iTunes folder present, delete it, and replace it with the saved library.

Open iTunes for the first time, skip through the prompts, and you'll be brought to the library, already fully operational. No re-adding, sorting, or anything. Playlists, songs, everything should remain intact.