A question about using Windows Live Messenger with VMWare Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grimmstein, Aug 23, 2008.

1. grimmstein macrumors newbie

I am ordering an iMac 2.66 ghz during the next couple of weeks, and the only problem I anticipate is the lack of a decent msn messenger client available on macs. I use a webcam almost daily, also I enjoy using the name effects and extra features that are available by downloading Windows Live Plus (it's the one thing about windows I'm a sucker for ;))

Anyway, to solve this problem, I have opted to purchase VMWare Fusion, as it will also allow me to run any other windows programs should I need them. But since I have not used VMW yet, I am a little confused as to how running Windows Live in it would work... in particular the Unity feature that allows windows programs to be minimized to the dock. Since in windows, when Windows Live is minimized, it flashes orange when a new message is delivered.

Could someone who has used WLM with VMWare Fusion tell me how it reacts when minimised to the dock in unity mode? Does it have some way of notifying when a new message is recieved? I don't really want to have to turn on the sound effects, as they can get very annoying.

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I don't use VMWare Fusion, but I use Parallel's Desktop in Coherence mode which is essentially identical to Fusion's unity mode.

I just don't minimize any of my chat windows (can display about 5 on screen maximum) and if I want to check if I have any new messages, I just press the Windows key combo ALT+TAB. Either that, or you can display the Windows taskbar above the Dock, although I'm not familiar with Fusion's way of doing things.

When a new message is received though, you still get the notifications appearing (they appear just above the Dock) so you'll know when you get a new message at the time, it is just if you miss the notification and don't have the taskbar, the only way to check is to press ALT+TAB.

Hopefully we'll see A/V support in Messenger:Mac before the end of this year..

3. Exist2Inspire macrumors member

So if the application is in the dock, will it bounce and make a sound like the mac messenger when an IM is recieved? Also, does the iSight work okay in WLM on both Fusion and Parallels?

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It doesn't bounce in Parallel's Desktop, and I'd assume it won't in Fusion either. The iSight works perfectly fine, however on newer Macs the iSight is a 1.3MP camera, so instead of displaying the right resolution in WLM, it zooms it in to the normal 800k (or around that) resolution of most webcams. Not a big deal, just means you might have to sit slightly further back than usual.

Another reason I wish Microsoft would speed up on the whole WLM and Mac Messenger A/V compatibility.

5. grimmstein thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll second that, it's so frustrating. Macs are perfectly capable of being fully compatible, it's just that Microsoft haven't bothered to do it.

As far as I am aware, VMWare fusion does not have the option to put the start bar above the dock. And in all honesty, one of the things I love about macs is the absence of the ugly windows XP start bar... I know it's a silly way to feel, but anyone who works on my pc all day would feel that way, it's a slow, old pain in the bum, and I'm keen to remove all aspects of it from my life for good.

So, as far as that goes, am I to assume that the only way to know if you have been sent a new message in a conversation is to either turn on the sound effects, or check it constantly? I just had a look on google, and it seems that the VMWare fusion icon itself bounces a lot requesting attention... in all honesty I have no idea how it works now.

I'd appreciate some info from someone who has used messenger with VMW!