A Question about Videos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kwong2006, May 12, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I am a college student who works as a semi-professional reporter during my spare time. I use a Panasonic PV-GS 500 to shoot my video report packages. Recently, I ran into a little debate over which aspect ratio I should use in my reports. Some have said I should use 16:9 widescreen in my reports, while others think I should use the traditional 4:3 ratio. Which one should I use?

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

What aspect ratio does the news program use that shows your packages? You should match whatever they use.

3. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I am an independent reporter. I put my stuff online.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Oh! Well if it's just for the internet then it doesn't really matter.

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

If its for the net, IMO you should shoot in 16:9. It gives video a more professional, high quality look. People are really starting to view 16:9 as the new standard ratio. They see all the high quality dramas and sitcoms on tv shot in widescreen, and so they subconsciously equate 16:9 with higher quality. Matlock, Jag and Walker Texas Ranger are all shot in 4:3, nuf' said.;)

6. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Unless my client specifies, or I know the finished content is going to go on television, I shoot in 16:9. As mentioned before, it gives a far more professional and polished look to the media.

MD

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I'd go with more of a utilitarian argument than "it looks as the stuffs on the tvs now…"

How about, if you're just a talking head go with 4:3 for lower encode sizes and hence faster downloads.

And if you are putting graphics to the left or right of the talking head you probably would do with the extra real estate of 16:9.

A quick look at CNN.com, ABC.com, MSN.com, and MSNBC.com: they are still in 4:3.

8. slinky0390 macrumors regular

personally, i shoot all my movies in 16:9, it looks more professional, especially if you are good with a camera. depending on what camera you have, you might not be getting true widescreen, some cameras in 16:9 mode just cut off parts of the top and bottom.