a Question about warranty.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlindSoul, Mar 7, 2012.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello,

My uncle lives in the US and he bought me a Macbook Pro from the BestBuy store. he came to Israel, where I live, and gave it to me.
    Now I know there's worldwide warranty for Apple products , and I was wondering if I need the receipt of the Macbook Pro? or is it just enough to give them the Product Serial Number so they can check it online and see if I do have warranty or not...

Thank you very much!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There is a process to go through when any Apple product crosses borders. It's up to your uncle to visit the "My Products page" and de-register the device.

Then for him to contact Apple and explain. They will email him a certificate which he can pass on to you. Then contact Applecare to ensure they will abide by the warranty in Israel. I had this with an ipad2 recently, and eventually all was well, you will need to register the Mac too on the same page.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have never heard of this process, and don't think you need to do it.

You can check the warranty status of your device here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

Straight from Apple...I still have a copy of the certificate...It's the crossing of borders that makes the difference...US to US, no issue..UK to US? The emailed me to complete the process.

It appears that they will not apply the warranty in some cases...It was no problem for us, as long as the process was completed. Like my Apple Rep. said, better to be safe than sorry.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Applecare for the iPad is significantly different than that for the Macbook Pro. Applecare for the iPad is region-specific:

(This is only the US plan, other regional plans have similar language)

Applecare for the Macbook Pro is not.

So, according to the country list Israel doesn't even qualify for Applecare service.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

According to my Rep, it applies in ALL cases where a device is crossing borders...He could be wrong, but the form I filled in online for the iPad also had options for all other Mac devices. Anyway, it's the advice I had, and the system is in place, so must be some truth in it.

It certainly won't hurt for the OP to check this out.

7. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone link me please to some page with more information about this? I am quite sure there's warranty here in Israel too, at our premium reseller: iDigital, for products which were bought in the US.

Thanks again!

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sure go to the Applecare support pages:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Email them from there explaining the situation...NOTE...The link I supplied is the US site, but they will be able to sort things out for you.