Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I am looking at buying an iPhone, but i live in Namibia, where it isnt officially planned for release yet (or possibly ever). As such, i am looking at buying an unlocked one from someone. My only problem is that if something fails i'm kinda on my own cos we dont have an apple store. How likely is it that something will break? (I know that sounds like a stupid question, but what is the average fail rate for iphones these days?)
Thanks in advance

SeanMcC

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Minneapolis
I am looking at buying an iPhone, but i live in Namibia, where it isnt officially planned for release yet (or possibly ever). As such, i am looking at buying an unlocked one from someone. My only problem is that if something fails i'm kinda on my own cos we dont have an apple store. How likely is it that something will break? (I know that sounds like a stupid question, but what is the average fail rate for iphones these days?)
Thanks in advance

You should be fine. I've had the 2G, 3G, and now the 3GS and have never needed service on any of them. Just understand the risk going into it with your situation.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. Its comforting to know you've had a good experience so far. I think i'm just gonna go for it

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Not sure what you mean by "fail rate" but why would you want to risk buying a phone that you can't get technical support, technical service or utilize the one year limited warranty, (eg. replacement parts or replacement iPhone)? I recommend you buy something in Namibia or wait until the iPhone is released somewhere within driving distance or flying distance.....:(

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Depends on how picky you are with micro cosmetic things. Like for example if you're TheSpaz, it's best if you live within 1/4 mile of an Apple store, since you'll probably be visiting it twice a day to swap for various particles that fell on the screen.

Other than that, I have had iPhone for almost 2 years (all 3 of them) without any hardware related issue to swap them.

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
I agree with SFState, I live somewhere that is a 3 hour drive to the closest apple store and even that feels like a stretch at times for me especially when something goes wrong...I would recommend waiting for service closer to you or taking the plunge and saying a little prayer :rolleyes:

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Eh buy a used one from a member that way you dont pay the egay price. Then just be ready to trouble shoot something yourself if it comes up. You can always buy replacement parts if you drop it or something bad happens. I have had two iphones never had issues with either, its a gamble but you should be fine.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
This might also sound crazy, but if you could find a member you trust have them buy one in the USA then worse case it craps out mail it back and have them send it to apple for you then pay shipping back. It would be a lot of hoops to jump though but just an idea.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
One more thing, do push notifications work on all iphones or only on the official carriers?

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
Depends on how picky you are with micro cosmetic things. Like for example if you're TheSpaz, it's best if you live within 1/4 mile of an Apple store, since you'll probably be visiting it twice a day to swap for various particles that fell on the screen.

Other than that, I have had iPhone for almost 2 years (all 3 of them) without any hardware related issue to swap them.
This post is full of WIN.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Can i activate it in another country or will i have to have some information from an official carrier? Thanks so much for the help u have already given, i really appreciate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.