A question for 2.2 early adopters

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheConfuzed1, Nov 22, 2008.

1. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

There was a day that I would be among the first to update my iPhone OS.

That was before my eyes were opened up to the world of jailbreaking. :)

Now, I am patiently (although a bit anxious as well--Is that possible? ;)) waiting for 2.2 to be jailbroken before I update.

What I'm curious to know is, did they fix Safari?

I mean, does it still crash like a mother?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

From my two days of use so far I have not had a single crash...

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I havent' had one crash yet either, I've been using it as I normally do.. seems very improved over 2.1

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I have only had it crash once since updating... Much happier iPhone user here

5. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This sounds positive.

Thanks for your replies. :)

I suppose time will really tell... 2.1 didn't crash for me in the beginning either.

6. billandy macrumors regular

i like that, "early adopters"! :D

guess most people have just gone to the orthodox app store now since 2.0. the jailbreak market is now already much smaller since it doesn't do 3g soft unlock and in many countries it's already sold unlocked or can be unlocked upon request. at least that's what i thought. of course there're apps such as bitesms that i miss

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I had huge problems with Safari crashes on 2.1 haven't had a single crash on 2.2 yet but as you said it never crashed in the begging on 2.1.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Safari overall seems more stable. It doesn't crash as often as it used to. However, this morning, it has crashed 3 times for me- once even while loading the MR forums main page.

The jury us still out for me on this.

Overall, 2.2 seems more stable- more confident, if you will. We'll see as time goes on though.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It still crashes just as much as before. Twice now, I have tried to go to testmyiphone.com and it crashed during the test. The only way to get it to do anything is to reboot the phone. It even crashed my Macpro when I tried to connect it during the Safari crash.

10. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Mine still crashes. I found a bug and Safari seems less snappy. The GPS seems to be working better though and street view is cool.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No crashes with 2.2 yet, but I'm keeping a close eye out. Safari 4.0 has crashed about (4) times since I installed it on my MBA and Mac Pro a few months ago.

12. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

No crashes here yet on some sites that would have crashed otherwise.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Only time will tell as much of the crashing had to do with cacheing. I've used MobileSafari extensively since upgrading at midnight and I'm pleased to report no crashes! I've accessed some intensive sites today without problems. Additionally, the pages DO cache more effectively; I left a 'reply to' open with text for 20 minutes while I performed other tasks and it saved the text I had inputted!

Apple Feedback used to crash every single time on 2.0.1 and a few times on 2.1. Now? Zero crashes on three visits.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Safari would crash for me sometimes in Facebook (I know there is an app but sometimes it doesn't do what normal facebook does ;)).

Now it's fine. :)

15. GuntherS macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I also think that Safari is more stable now on 2.2 I've had a few crashes before the update.

16. BxTruth macrumors newbie

my safari would crash about 3x a day.. after the 2.2 update ive had 1 crash in two days.. so its more stable but not perfect:p

17. billandy macrumors regular

nothing is perfect baby, ie7 crashes more often than 10 times a day

18. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Upgraded my iPhone 3G to 2.2 on Friday evening. Last night I was using my iPhone and the screen flashed and went blank. It acted as if the battery was dead, but I had at least 50% battery left. I tried everything to turn it back on with no luck. I had to do a complete restore to bring it back to life. Prior to 2.2 I had not encountered any real issues or crashes.

My iPhone is stock with just a few games, programs and about 3 GB of music on it. It has never been hacked, jailbroken, dropped or wet.

Has anyone else encountered an issue like this?

19. billandy macrumors regular

happened to me on 2.1 for a couple of times in total, just hold the power and home button together for about 10 seconds until you see the apple logo and then release both SIMULTANEOUSLY.

no such problem so far on 2.2. though...

20. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

yet another reason why jailbreaking your phone is becoming less and less of an "attractive choice"

21. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will always jailbreak. If I wanted to, I could go ahead and update before the new jailbreak was available, but because jailbreaking is such an "attractive choice" to me, I was willing to wait. Besides, it only took a day for the Dev Team to release the new jailbreak this time.

Anyway, the first thing I did was navigate to a page that always crashes on Mobile Safari for me... 2.2 crashed on this page as well. :(

It does seem more stable, but it obviously isn't perfect.

It sucks to be in love with a device, and disappointed by it at the same time!

22. det2004 macrumors 6502

Maybe your phone is unstable for you, because your phone is jailbroken.