A question for 5s owners about the new home button.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AusMacFan, Apr 16, 2014.

1. AusMacFan macrumors member

I've noticed on my iPhone 5, and pretty much all iOS devices I've owned, that the home button becomes noticeably recessed after extended use. This is in contrast to when the devices are new, and the button is almost always flush with the glass of the display. Small gripe I know, but I am curious if the new home button design on the 5s has the same issue, or if it is more durable than on previous iOS devices. So, for long-time 5s owners, have you noticed any recession/degradation in the home button?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

aside from Touch ID, the 5s home button is a step back from the 5. It never clicks the same way and makes odd noises all the time.

I've tried several 5s units and they've all had odd clicking.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have a screen protector on and I knew when I put it on my iPhone that there would be more of a hole. Which is what I wanted. It really makes it easier to use touch id. Plus you use less pressure on it. Overall there has been no movement of the home button. No change.

Whenever I use a friend 5/5c I do notice a difference. There is a slight curve of the home button vs flatness of the 5s.

If you have the 5, then you can cover your home button with one of those buttons on it to help you.

http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP096...sr=1-1&keywords=iphone+5s+case+spigen+buttons

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

A question for 5s owners about the new home button.

OP refers to a change after extended use. I have owned four iPhones (now using the 5s) and three iPads, and there are two other iPads in my home. I have never had a problem with any of the home buttons nor has there been a change (like recess) on any of them after extended use. I don't doubt that some people have experienced this problem but I am not sure how widespread it is.

The home button on my 5s is always solid and consistent, and has not deteriorated even a little bit. It does sound different than previous models but not inferior or problematic.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I am jailbroken so i use virtual home, no clicking necessary.:D

It does have a different click though,it doesnt click as hard i guess ( am i compare my ipad and 5s buttons) but it still has a very solid feel to it. Like a more cushiony spring was put in place. From what i can tell there has not been any change in the home button, but i havent clicked it as much as a normal person would have by now.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

My sister's 5S used to feel like it had a recessed button, but picking it up right now and comparing it side by side with my iPhone 5 feels almost the same. In fact, the 5S feels a touch flatter than the home button on the 5.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

That's because it is flatter.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I never noticed it until now. But now that realised that I can't stop noticing it.

9. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

10. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I never noticed the home button became more recessed over time, but it definitely became "softer" or "spongier" when you'd press it. I never really noticed this until I had my 11 month old iPhone 5 replaced under warranty. The replacement had a noticeably "less squishy" feel when I pressed the home button.

I suspect the same is true of my new 5s...I just don't know that I can notice the change as it is happening...it's too slow for me to perceive on a daily basis.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

mine definitely feels the same every time I press it.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My 5s home button is right where it was when I purchased it. Then again, my 1st gen iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4s, iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPad Mini haven't had this recessed home button problem you're having either. My wife's 4s had a strange feeling home button: It didn't click the same, but it wasn't recessed either.

13. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

My experience is the 5S home button is far superior to that of the 5