A question for Canadian iPhone users!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tavoss, Jun 8, 2009.

1. tavoss macrumors member

Hi,

I'm a dual national British Canadian, and I'm currently living in Florida, and in less than a month I'll be moving to Vancouver or Montreal! I use the 3G right now, and of course, this is going to be perfect timing for me to pick up the new 3GS (being the Apple fanboy I am lol)

So I have three questions:

1. Who provides the best iPhone service in the area (as in cell carrier, I'm not familiar with any in canada)
    2. Do you know how much the iPhone 3GS will be for a new account and contract?
    3. Whats the 3G like in Vancouver and Montreal?

Thanks in advance!!

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

less than a month and you don't know which side of the country you're moving to?

Anyway, you only have 2 options, Rogers or Fido, and I'm not sure if it's been confirmed that Fido is even carrying the 3Gs. Service should technically be the same because they use the same network.

For the 3G, Canada mirrored US pricing, so I would expect the same this time (except we have 3 year contracts, not 2)

Dunno about 3G service but I would assume it's good as they're major cities.

3. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Looks like Fido is carrying the new 3G S by looking at their website.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

1. Rogers or Fido are your only options. Rogers owns Fido so service should be identical. It all comes down to the best pricing plan for you.

2. $199/$299 for 16GB/32GB on a 3 year contract.

3. No clue, as I'm in Ontario.

5. tavoss thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all your speedy answers! I appreciate it!!!

And no, I'm still up in the air as to where I want to move to. I have no money saved up either, kind of on a wing and a prayer fix right now lol

6. C0die macrumors newbie

I hate the rogers plans, I went with what seemed to be the best option for my iPhone 3G.

I pay anywhere between 120 - 138 a month, and I get

400 daytime minutes
    early nights and weekends
    my 5 Canada wide
    10 000 texts
    2 gigs of data
    and some other things.

I believe AT&T has unlimited data?
    If you want more data you're going to pay a lot.

I live in Northern Ontario, and my 3G speeds and quality for voice are amazing.

7. abz786 macrumors 6502

so in my situation, i bought the iphone 3g july 11th, 2008, so if i want the iphone 3gs here in alberta, canada on rogers how much am i looking at?

i remember rogers had changed their HUP details..
    so lost here haha

8. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Although Rogers is the worst company, they offer the best support and they have dealers just about everywhere. I'd go with them over Fido, if they're even carrying the 3GS.

Rogers will hopefully do another promotion like they did last year where you can get 6gb of data for the regular 2gb price.

9. abz786 macrumors 6502

so i just called rogers, and he said the new iphone can only be purchased on a 3 yr contract, not straight out, and since rogers has a new HUP policy, i can buy the iphone next yr thru HUP.
    WTF!!!

he also said that the iphone 3gs isn't coming to rogers at this time, so stay tuned to rogers.com for more info

10. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

You hate Rogers plans?

I have
    6 GB data
    2750 SMS messages
    500 minutes anytime
    My 5 Canada Wide (unlimited SMS for these contacts too)
    Visual Voicemail

for $80 less my VIP discount and I pay $72

Yes AT&T has "unlimited Data" but, It limited to 5GB.

I

11. DarkJaye macrumors member

I always love when people quote how rogers is so great for the 6GB when it's impossible to get (well, might be made available for a short time again)

It's really not a great example of how "amazing" Roger's plans are. That plan is above average, and a new Rogers customer would be paying much more for those features, period.

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

No its coming on June 19th.
    If you have a 3G on a current contract you can Hardware upgrade after the second year, it's not a new policy it's the policy they always had, these are the terms you agreed to when you signed that piece of paper to get your 3G iPhone. You will be able to buy it full price when its released for the unsubsidized price.

13. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

No they aren't great because of the 6GB, not sure where I said that.

The average user has no idea what they will use and thinks they need tons of data, since I bought the phone I've never used more than 500MB, (thats tethering it a couple of times with Netshare too). Your aren't going to be using the phone to download pirated movies or music, a couple of gigs is lots.

14. DarkJaye macrumors member

Actually, yes it is a new policy. Previous HUP policy was 1 year into contract, the terms changed recently.

Well then what was your reason for for asking him if he hates Rogers plans and then listing your plan? Why not actually list a plan that would be realistic for a new Rogers customer to get when questioning the (valid) hate Rogers receives.

15. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

No the policy was in the final year, which up until the iPhone they were all two year contracts, and it's still is the final year which for the iPhone is after two years. I use to work for them.

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Rogers has a web site for that.

17. DarkJaye macrumors member

Well you're completely wrong because I was on a 3 year contract, 1 year into my contract I did a HUP to the iPhone 3G.

Please stop pulling stuff out of thin air, it seems pointless correcting you when you just make up facts.

18. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

You had a BB

19. DarkJaye macrumors member

A) A normal phone
    B) Before you try and tell me they had an early HUP promotion for iPhone 3Gs...

1) I bought the phone on launch day, before such a promotion existed
    2) The early HUP promotion was for people upgrading before they hit the 1 year mark on their contract.

This is a new policy, all you have to do is search for the press release. It's not surprising an (ex)Rogers employee knows less about their company policies than a customer, though.

edit: 3 edits in 2 minutes? No, I did not have a blackberry, and I'm not sure what you thought I was making up.

20. abz786 macrumors 6502

so when we look at the prices at&t is charging users to upgrade to the new iphone 3gs from the iphone 3g, think we will see similar prices?

21. abz786 macrumors 6502

this just in:

* Both Rogers Wireless and Fido will offer iPhone 3GS starting June 19.
    * Rogers/Fido pricing is $199 for 16GB iPhone 3GS; $299 for 32GB iPhone 3GS on a three-year voice and data plan.
    * 8GB version of the iPhone 3G will drop to $99 on June 19 at Rogers and Fido with a three-year voice and data plan.
    * Rogers is reintroducing the $30/6GB data plan for iPhones effective tomorrow, June 9. Offer available for a limited time.

22. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Link? If so, sounds great!

23. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Ask here too