A question for GPS users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djbrickhouse, May 18, 2007.

1. djbrickhouse macrumors member

Hi all,

I am a GPS noob. I have heard that the mac doesn't have a lot of sopftware for GPS purposes. I have also heard that Garmin has made their receivers "mac compatable"

I generally, I want to be able to load maps onto my GPS and to overlay GPS tracks onto Google Earth images, like this:

Any help?

Attached Files:

2. andy007 macrumors regular

For importning GPS into google earth you need the Google Earth Plus for $20
    http://earth.google.com/products.html

Once inside google earth go to Tools>GPS. Here you can select your device which Garmin is supported by and what feature to import. Its just a case of hitting the "import" button and the data should transfer.

Hope this helps

3. djbrickhouse thread starter macrumors member

great thnaks,

here is a follow-up question, has your gps experience been limited by being a mc user, and if so, how?

I just want to know what limitations I can expect using osx as my gps homebase plateform.

thanks, its appreciated....

4. Halcyon macrumors 6502

There is software (freeware, shareware and commercial) for your Mac and Garmin GPS, and they work just fine.

Garmin's own software (MapSource and nRoute) will not run on a Mac (they keep saying that a Mac version will be available in the future...but still waiting). You can install Parallel Windows or Boot Camp and run them there. I have the setup but haven't installed the Garmin software yet, once I do I can update you on that.

HTH