A question for Hardware cracks concerning USB adapter for a headset

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mylardis, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Mylardis macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2010
    Ok, as I'm pretty new to Macs, I've tried googeling and searching this forum. I didn't find anything sounding like my problem, so I hope somebody can help me with this.

I use Teamspeak and Skype on a regular basis. I already knew that you require a USB adapter to use your normal headset, so I bought one by Creative (actually, a USB soundcard) when my new iMac arrived.

At first, everything seemed to work fine. I was talking to a few guys in Teamspeak when they told me I sound like Darth Vader all of a sudden. I doublechecked that by switching channels and doing the Teamspeak self voice test. It sounded really choppy, my friends were right.

I disconnected the USB soundcard, replugged it a few times. Eventually, it worked again. Well, it didn't prove to be for ever, since the problem came back - I can't say there's any special situation and I couldn't reproduce it. It was just random.

Ok, my second guess was that I would require different hardware, since Creative didn't provide any drivers for MacOS. I went back to the shop and bought a simple adapter by Speedlink, cheap stuff, I know. I just figured "less complicated hardware equals less problems". This Speedlink adapater just transforms the signal for USB.

MacOS found it straight away, and I started using my headset again. Well, cut a long story short, the same thing happened today, at random. My voice suddenly becomes chopppy and sounds something like Vader. I switch to internal Mic, use it for a few minutes, switch back (Sound Source is great), the mic works for a while, and then it all starts over again.

So, any of you guys have an idea what the problem is?

(before you ask, it's a Sennheiser headset, upper middle class, and has never failed me before)
  2. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    You do NOT need an usb adapter to use a normal headset with a Mac.

Contact usb adapter manufacturer for support.
  3. Mylardis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2010
    Thank you for the quick answer. As far as I heard, the adapter is required since the headset does not have a preamplified microphone. It didn't work without the adapter - What's the alternative besides using an adapter?