A question for the music geeks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by captain301, Feb 15, 2009.

1. captain301 macrumors newbie

right everyone im thinking about buying a macbook but i want to run logic and maybe cubase and sibelius with a keyboard with maybe East West Quantum Leap samples and sounds, i would also like it to do this smoothly without making it laggy.

does anyone do this? i will prob defo get 4gb of ram but im thinking would it be better to save up a bit more and go for the macbook pro.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Jack

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Ye

Hey there dude. I run all these apps on my Macbook Pro unibody

The Alu macbook onwards will work fine with Logic and all them programs

even with 2GB of ram, but i would recommend 4GB and maybe the bigger Hard drive option, if your storing the samples and that on your internal memory. Logicpro can take a lot up, up to 50GB

I hope this helps!

ML:apple::apple:

3. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

ooops forgot about your Macbook PRO question

Erm... if you can afford it and dont mind paying a little extra i would recommend

But if budget is limited the Macbook ALU onwards would suit your needs with out a doubt.

No problem what so ever.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you need FireWire, get the MBP.

If you don't, then don't bother. What you're doing isn't graphics intensive, it's CPU intensive. It makes no difference whether you get a 2.4 GHz MacBook, or a 2.4 Ghz MacBook Pro, for example. Look at this review by Anandtech., or better yet, THIS review by MacWorld.

The only advantage of the MBP is the higher resolution of the screen. That may help you when you're not working with an external LCD.

5. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Good point. If you use Firewire interfaces then MBP is the option