A Question for The Pros.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ChicoWeb, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I've been operating for 7+ years now and I haven't had any prices on my website since I first started. The main reason is there are many complexities that come along with a web design & development proposal (CMS, Commerce, Static, etc). However, I've been getting a rash of phone calls where people are probably expecting me to say, "yes, we can do that for $375 a slice, and a 6 pack of sierra nevada". I'm starting to wonder if I should put our rate card or at the very least a price "guide" for this sort of thing. But then I'm wondering if people are going to call and say "I want that for $x,xxx" when really too low and not in their range...

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience from one over the other?

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

My thoughts on pricing for design and development are to not list it. I think it's a good idea to maybe list starting at $price. I would then list a disclaimer saying that pricing is dependent upon many variables.

3. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

We recently confronted the same question with our other business (A design / web business) and for years we fought against putting our prices on the website, but more and more we found ourselves taking calls from people that were not really looking for our services. They were shopping in a totally different price bracket to our services, and basically, we were wasting our time taking the calls.

So after much debate, we put some package prices together for logo's and some website packages, with the basics included, and stuck them up on the website. What we found was a more qualified lead with each call, and we actually increased our enquiries.

We also detail that we do customised web work, but it is by quote only.

So in answer to your question, we found it was a good idea to give out some basic rates, if you in a position to be able to do that.