Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Since I'll soon have the space to put all my albums on my Mac in Lossless and I actually hear a difference to 320AAC and it would make things easier with the iTunes library being the actual backup of my CDs and not having to keep an additional Lossless backup.

For my iPod though I don't think I'd need Lossless and since iTunes doesn't have an automatic conversion option when transferring files to the iPod I am looking for a way to deal with it. Obviously the easiest option would be to go all Lossless, but since space is still an issue on the iPods I don't think this is the best idea.

How do you organize your music? Do you also put Lossless on your iPods or do you put lower bitrate music on your iPod?
And if you do, how do you do it? Do you keep two libraries, one for the iPod and one for home use or how do you deal with it?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Lower bitrate on the iPod (8Gb Nano) + better battery life.

Manually manage the music on my iPod and then use the lossloss to aac workflow to copy the tracks over. Takes a long time to begin with, just choose you bitrate prefs in itUnes importing first and set it to go.

assscat

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
I have a 128AAC copy of all my lossless tracks in my iTunes library. I then use smart playlists to distinguish between the two. The lossy tracks go onto my iPod and I listen the lossless versions on my iMac.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Thanks for the script. I had seen that on Doug's scripts before but this way no playcounts and last played dates are updated in the main library, correct?

I guess a small price to pay for having the best of both worlds, but I think I am really gonna miss at least the playcounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.