A question for those who bought two iPads at launch...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhone3GCrazed, Jan 19, 2011.

1. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I'm curious as to people's experiences with buying two original iPads at launch and selling the extra on eBay.

Was it profitable or did you pretty much break even?

I'm wondering because I'm considering buying two iPad 2's at launch and keeping one for myself and selling the extra.

All answers/comments are welcome and appreciated! :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why would someone pay you more than retail on eBay? :confused:
    Just because supplies might be limited initially?

Makes no sense to me

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Some people don't like to wait

4. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I was browsing Completed Listings before and people on eBay are still purchasing the iPad Wi-Fi 16GB for anywhere between $470-$500+ (for some reason) + shipping, so I was just wondering if people had any luck selling the original iPad on eBay immediately after launch.

5. Muzz112 macrumors member

You may make a profit, as there are rumours of the iPad "2" being released in the states before it comes over here to the UK, and there are a lot of people who won't want to wait for the UK release!

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

you make a profit because ebay is full of Stupids who believe waiting a few weeks is unbearable or who believe things on ebay are always cheaper and never check the price.

However if you pay $829+tax for a new iPad and you sell it for $900 +shipping then you made only $70 and thats just not worth the hassle and the risk of getting scammed or the buyer doesn't pay and all that.

If you sell 50 iPads on ebay then it might be worth it........

7. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

And most likely to get a high sale price you will have to ship internationally as a previous poster mentioned that it may be released later overseas. I personally am not willing to go through the hassle and assume the risk of scams to make a small profit. At the end of the day, it's up to you.

8. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you need to ask this question, here, well you probably should not do it.:eek:

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I personally wouldn't do it. There is too much risk selling something like that on e-bay. Sure, the transaction might go fine and you can take precautions but in the end, all the buyer has to do is file a chargeback with a lame reason and poof! Your money is gone. PayPal almost always sides with the buyer.

Besides, after E-Bay and PayPal fees, the profit margin is greatly reduced. Add that with the risk = not such a hot idea after all.

Sure, you will get replies here saying "My transaction went fine" and "Go for it, I made $300" but in the end, you have to treat it like gambling. You must be willing to lose the money in the first place.

11. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Thanks everyone!

You've all talked me out of it. :)

12. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I actually tried it and about 2 extras and put them on eBay...in the end I just broke even and went through all the hassle of listing it and shipping it, totally not worth it. The iPads actually sold for more than they were in the store, but once you factor in eBay listing fees and Paypal fees it ate away any profit there was.

13. jazziethomas macrumors member

As we all know the date release is not all the same some might get one earlier while some have to wait until it would be released on their country as for selling one online you might sell it to people who lives in other country and can't wait to have one by a fair price you can't sell it that much to get a big profit out of it.