A question for those who have tried them on ...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TheLondonFella, Apr 10, 2015.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

Do they appear/feel/seem bigger or smaller than the images (size guide) on the app?

Clunky?

Or maybe more compact than you expected?

Please let me know, as I'm concerned I've ordered too big (42mm).

Thanks ...

2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Honestly, the 38mm was bigger than I expected and the 42mm was smaller than I expected. I didn't find them to be terribly different. I'm sure you'll love it.

3. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

They both seemed smaller than I expected. I was the guy who photoshopped the paper renders too to determine which to get. I was torn betweent he 38 and 42. After trying them on, 42mm for sure. easy decision. The 38mm is quite small.

My wrist is 185mm in diameter FYI.

[​IMG]

4. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

They seem wayyy smaller in person. I know that many others have said this that have tried it on, but I figure one more won't hurt. If you were at all wondering if its too big, its not. Were you thinking its too thick, its not. Also, if you were teetering between the 38mm and the 42mm, just go ahead and get the 42mm.

5. Jman13 macrumors 68000

To me, they seemed notably smaller. I'm a big guy, so the 38mm is right out, but the 42mm looked good and felt really nice. Smaller and more normal feeling than I expected. Looks really nice on my wrist. I tried on the black sport, which felt nice. I also tried on the SS with classic leather band and Milanese loop. I have very large wrists, measuring 210mm easily, and all three of those fit easily, which I was concerned about.

The Milanese loop looks like it could fit very large wrists, but you have to slide it on, so big hands will be the limiting factor. I liked the way the Milanese looked, but wasn't a big fan of how it felt. The SS with leather looked and felt great, but not great enough to make me pay the huge premium over he sport.

I went in curious, but not planning on buying at all. I left wanting one. If I get one this year (I won't be preordering....maybe Christmas), I'd get the black/black sport.

6. TS19 macrumors member

I wonder why they changed from "Lunch with Ben" to "Lunch with Ken"

7. ampontour macrumors newbie

Both watches were much smaller than I had imagined. I have skinny wrists (165mm) and the 42mm was significantly smaller and lighter than the watch I currently wear. It seems to me 38mm would be just too small for any adult male. Black SS is also really black. Black black. When you look at it in the display case however it seems to have more of a gun-metal color.

Attached Files:

8. cwosigns macrumors 65816

So are you having lunch with Ben or Ken?

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My wrist is same diameter. Tried on and ordered a 42mm. Seemed same size as my Pebble Steel, though a hair thicker.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Ben was getting too fat from having all those lunches.

11. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

lol, good eye(s).

12. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Is the space grey similar to the space grey of the iphones?

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

No is much darker

14. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Think you mean circumference, not diameter. ;-) That being said, what is your wrist width (should be a number between 50-70mm or thereabouts) if you just measure from one side to the other?

15. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Definitely seemed smaller. I had prepared myself for them to feel really thick. It doesn't. I was starting to worry that the 42mm would be huge like the Moto 360. It's not. At all. 42mm is really a good size for me. medium size/build male.

I left the try-on and playing with the demo really pleased with this product. It's pricey, but it's really nice.

16. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

doh! your right. 185mm circumference. ~61mm width

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Just back from the Apple store. Fun to try them on. The lines were not 3 deep like with an iPhone launch, so it did not take much time.

I am glad I waited to order. When printed flat, the 42 seemed really big, but printing does not take into account the rounded edges. In real life, the 42 seemed fine on my 175mm wrist.

I have a collection of rather clunky mechanical watches, so the thickness was not big deal to me. I actually liked the look a lot. In a separate section of the store they have active watches, which are really fun to play with.

Now the wait . . . mid May for me.

18. tschangrx7 macrumors newbie

Smaller in person

I have a overall small wrist but it's actually the width of your wrist that can make the watch appear big or small.
    38 looked small but 42 looked perfect.

Attached Files:

19. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

A massive thank you for all of your responses.

It's much appreciated.

Looks like the 42mm will be good, and the excitement can continue!

Thanks, everyone ...

20. shayanhooshmand macrumors member

I'm 14 years old and have 145mm left wrist. From the Apple Store app, the 42mm looked definitely too big and printed out it looked a little big. In store though, it fit really nicely, but the 38mm was good too. However, I feel like those extra 4mm really make a pretty big difference in screen size. I ended up going with the 42mm Black Sport so I could also get a blue leather loop band.