A question not yet asked. Who has a micro cell and any issues with iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric-PTEK, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

My last conversation with AT&T involved Microcells since they are in the midst of upgrading my area.

Anyone with a Microcell having dropped call issues?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

one of the guest on MacBreak weekly this morning said he has a MicroCell in his home and as much as he tried, he couldn't not get it his iPhone 4 to loose signal strength or drop a call.

3. eckomania macrumors newbie

Here's a video of the reception issue with a MicroCell from Insanely Great Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42FkKuKXYw

This was using his second iPhone 4 also as he returned his first one because of the reception issues.

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I have one and it works GREAT with my iPhone 4.

5. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

I have one in my home, and I STILL drop signal holding the phone, and drop calls. I ALSO have tried a bumper, the griffin reveal, and the Belkin Grip Vue. Even with cases on, my reception drops when holding the phone.

6. Gagoots macrumors regular

I REFUSE to ever buy a product marketed to consumers who suffer because the original products are sub par. If AT&T had good coverage, it wouldn't need this. At the very least it should be free. Like the Bumper as a fix that the consumer pays for because of a design flaw.

Doesn't anyone see how hard these corporations are screwing the consumers?

7. simoneves macrumors member

Not that I wish to add to this already raging fire, but the problem absolutely DOES happen with a Microcell. Here are a couple of screencaps taken about 30s apart the other morning while I was surfing in bed. I'm sure you can guess how I was holding the phone with each one. This is without a case, of course.

Attached Files:

8. katsnd4spd macrumors newbie

I love my Microcell

My iPhone 4 picked up my signal immediately. While it is frustrating to pay for a $150 device to get a cell signal in my home, ATT can't help the old thick plaster walls or if some residents won't let them install another cell phone tower. I have a feeling that my thick walls and a bottom floor apartment next to other buildings doesn't help. However, the Microcell did manage to get a GPS lock near a window and I have had it since last Wed and was working with my 3 G fine. Still not absolutely the clearest connection, but that is probably more due to my bluetooth headset. I picked up an iPhone 4 at ATT and they activated it at sore. When I walked in my apartment, I had wifi enabled and it immediately saw my Microcell and started working.

9. Gagoots macrumors regular

I don't think Verizon has a product like this, do they? Do you know WHY?

10. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I don't know how you made that happen. I have a microcell and I have two iphone 4s. I can't get it to lose a single bar much less all bars while connected to the microcell. I have no problems with my microcell.

11. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree to a point.

I live just outside a Metropolitan area and have great service everywhere, so no I should not have to do this.

My sister on the other hand has her retirement home up in Wolverine Michigan and cell service blows no matter who it is. But she can get high speed internet. So for her $150 is a worthwhile investment.

There could be other considerations too. My issue with the MicroCell is its not big enough. Some building construction is not conducive to cell signals so I can see it for businesses.

But for a consumer, in a highly populated area, where cell service works for everyone, no they should not have to buy one.

It gives me some hope that even standing next to a Microcell people are getting dropped calls, that is more likely software related than hardware. The 3GS went through something similar but if I remember right the fix was out in 1-2 days after launch.

12. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

The microcell in theory is amazing but in practice is ok. Some times the phone shows connected but when I go to make a call, the call fails and it changes to the normal cell tower.

13. dorlando macrumors newbie