A question of quality (iPhone vs the others)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techguy15, Dec 21, 2015.

1. techguy15 macrumors member

Why exactly is it that Apple seems to have better quality products compared to others? This may be strictly based on my opinion but what do you all think?

I haven't had an iPhone in a few years but I plan on going back to one. For me it comes down to quality. Every iPhone I had back in the day from the original to the 4S felt like they were built well and they never gave me trouble- I jailbroke mine and downloaded stuff from Cydia and the phone still wasn't unstable. Any Android (I currently own an Android), including brand new high end ones, have given me trouble. I personally like Android but am tired of issues like lack of build quality, lack of updates and lack of customer service when I have a problem. It seems that the parts in Samsung and LG phones etc aren't the best quality compared to what Apple puts in their products.

I'm not starting an iPhone vs Android war here but what specifically makes the iPhone better in terms of quality? Why do they hold value better and why do they seem to last longer than Android phones?

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Apple definitely stands behind their products and you cannot beat their support services. That said, I recently returned a 6s Plus simply because I didn't like it enough to spend a thousand dollars on it. For my money, I'm thrilled with my Droid Turbo 2. I still love my iPad and macbook pro. I had a charger go out on my 6 year old mbp. Took it in to an Apple store and they replaced it for free on the spot. That says alot to me.

3. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I broke my iPhone 4 by using it at the forge (I'm a blacksmith). The dust ruined the back camera completely. So I switched to a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact which is dust- and waterproof (although they've kinda backpedalled on the waterproof front recently) and it's been nothing but joy. Everything about it seems premium. If not for the fact there's no fingerprint reader on this model I would just keep it and not replace it when my two-year period ends in October.

4. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I do plan on getting a Samsung Galaxy S6 or a Note 5 for my next phone. I've had the chance to handle all three - the Galaxy S6, the S6 Edge and the Note 5. All feel very premium in the hand. The Galaxy S4 and S5 do feel like they have a good build quality. They don't feel really premium, but their build quality feels good. They feel solid.

I'm not keen on the direction the iPhone 6 has gone when it comes to physical design of the device. Of course, performance and functionality has been a higher priority for me, but the design of the iPhone 5 and the 5S will always be my favourite iPhone design. The iPhone 6 and 6S are certainly very premium when it comes to build quality, but I don't really care much for their design.