a question of refurbishment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mojopixel, Dec 4, 2007.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I was thinking of getting a refurbished MBP. The main thinking behind this is that a refurbished model will a) save me money and b) be less likely to have something go wrong with it. How many here think that getting a refurb mac would be better than getting a new mac?

cheers,

mp :cool:

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

So many threads....so little time to search..

There are many, many, many threads on this topic.

I go with refurbs unless I want a CTO option that I cannot do myself - ex. CPU upgrade in MBP/iMAC. And I like saving the $300-400.

3. niblum10 macrumors member

i got a refurbished ibook close to two years ago for those same reasons. couldn't be happier. the only problem i've had was that the battery was recalled about a year ago. i always recommend buying refurb

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think refurbs are fine. I usually don't buy them because I can get either an EDU or an EPP discount so the refurbs would only save me $50-$100.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I purchased a refurb MBP this past April. It's great. No worries.

6. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I've already purchased a number of refurbished items from Apple over a past year. I had a MacBook model that was flawless right out of the box, I ordered an iMac 20" that came in great condition, and now I just ordered a MacBook Pro from the refurbished section which should be coming in a few days.

Without a doubt you'll save a good amount of money and the chances for any problems decreases a bit compared to new models. That's in my opinion of course. Good luck!

7. ouphe macrumors regular

I have nothing but good things to say about Apple refurbs, as well. My first mac, a G5, lasted me YEARS, and my current machine is a 20" Aluminum iMac, which I also bought refurbed. Both have been amazing.