A question of Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dangleheart, Jul 8, 2007.

1. dangleheart macrumors 6502

How do I move objects around in a web page with iPhone? For example, in my.yahoo.com, in the middle column, I can click on the white area and move it to rearrange the items. I tried that with iphone by touching that area and moving it but it only scrolls the page. Can this be done with iPhone?

2. The General macrumors 601

It can't be done. That's the same reason why maps.google.com is unusable (yet works) and places like www.meebo.com become tedious having to zoom in and out. Hopefully they implement something like tap+drag for stuff like that, but until then you'll just have to deal with it.

3. dangleheart thread starter macrumors 6502

What all you can not do with maps.google.com? One thing I noticed is, I can not change the route in the "directions" view which is very useful sometimes.

What I am thinking is, if Apple maps some other gesture to the same events as click-n-drag that the javascript behind these web pages expect, then it should work, shouldn't it?

As far as my.yahoo.com, there is an edit button. If I touch it, it gives an inplace pop up menu to move the module. On a regular computer, clicking on it moves it without taking me to a new page. On the iPhone, I have not managed to do that. I am not even sure if that in-place pop-up menu even allows touch interface but a couple of times, somehow it took me to configuration screen.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yes, but it'll have to be an non-intuitive gesture.

One trick for scrollable divs within a page, is to do a two-finger swipe. This supposedly scrolls instead of dragging the whole page.

5. dangleheart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this tip. It came in handy. In Hotmail, when I replied to a long email, for some reason it put the middle of the quoted email in the window. After struggling for a while how to get to the top of that window so I can type my message, I tried the double finger swipe and it did scroll to the top.

Thanks.