Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Europium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hey all,
So as most of y'all know best buy is offering to trade-in a used 4/4s for a new 5. I have a lightly scratched but otherwise perfectly working black AT&T iPhone 4S 16gb that is also unlocked (not factory but by request). I personally have no use for the unlock as I won't be leaving the country or switching carriers any time soon (I got it as gift).

Just called best buy and they still have plenty in stock.. As a money matter should I go for it or keep the current phone?

Thanks in advance :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As a money matter should I go for it or keep the current phone?
Its really personal preference. Do you want a new phone? Then get it.

The 5s will be released at some point but presumably when that does occur you'll get less for your phone.

The bottom line, only you can determine if you should buy it or not.

Europium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I would do the trade-in in an instant if the 4s I have currently wasn't unlocked. I hear even used ones can go for a decent amount. My question is if it's worth to trade even an unlocked 4s for a new iPhone 5..

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I would do the trade-in in an instant if the 4s I have currently wasn't unlocked. I hear even used ones can go for a decent amount. My question is if it's worth to trade even an unlocked 4s for a new iPhone 5..

Unlocked vs locked doesn't matter. You can unlock the iPhone 5 if you choose to get for $2. There is no value is unlocked iPhones anymore.

Europium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Unlocked vs locked doesn't matter. You can unlock the iPhone 5 if you choose to get for $2. There is no value is unlocked iPhones anymore.

Since when?? Sorry I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this topic haha. How does one go about doing it?

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Hey all,
So as most of y'all know best buy is offering to trade-in a used 4/4s for a new 5. I have a lightly scratched but otherwise perfectly working black AT&T iPhone 4S 16gb that is also unlocked (not factory but by request). I personally have no use for the unlock as I won't be leaving the country or switching carriers any time soon (I got it as gift).

Just called best buy and they still have plenty in stock.. As a money matter should I go for it or keep the current phone?

Thanks in advance :)

On ebay Iphone 4S 16GB AT&T gets at least $200 some over $300. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-AT-T...0661755273?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item58a1356d89

Best buy is only giving you a $150 credit.

Wal Mart sells the 5 for $130.

You sell on ebay or craigs for 200+ you buy from wal mart. You still have $70 extra!

Edit: Here is a cracked screen iphone 4s on ebay selling for $300.

----------

The more I look at it the more I think you could sell it within hours if you list on Craigslist for $250 (FIRM). If you can wait, then list for $280 and it will still sell.

Then pay WalMart $130 for the new one. Easily have $120 more than you would from best buy.

Unfortunately no matter which route you choose you will be in contract for 2 more years.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I would never sell an AT&T 4S for $150. That's a total rip. youll get $250 cash easily on Craigslist almost as soon as you list it. They're over $300 on eBay before fees.

Europium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Say I want to sell it on Craigslist.. Won't I have to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 for it to work with the sim off the 4s?

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
4s don't seem to be selling like that anymore.
I had to settle for $300 for my 32gb 4am that was only like 8 months old
Most were offering $200 or under
Honesty I was hoping for $400 but they werent really selling for that
On eBay you have like 12% fees including PayPal so wound have probably got less on eBay in the end.

iono11200

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Check the resellers. Sellcell.com or elegreen.com. Many of these folks are very reputable and make buying your old device about as simple and pain free as possible.

I used to always sell on ebay, but their fees are becoming outrageous. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.