A question on reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lorib, Aug 22, 2010.

1. lorib macrumors newbie

So, I have a Ibook G4 that I am selling. I have done a search and found lots of different replies on my particular question.

Basically I wanted to delete all files, passwords, etc and start fresh. I went to disk utility and choose the 7x rewrite erase option. Took 3 hours and I thought all was good, but when it was all over, it looked like all of my info was still there. So, then I put in the original install disk (which i guess i should have done all along) and chose erase all and reinstall....however, I didn't press down the "C" key when doing this, and go to disk install to do the 7x rewrite, and it seems much of the advice says this is what I should do.

So..now. It looks like I have an all new reinstall. Can't find a trace of my old stuff. Do you think I'm ok or should I start from scratch again putting the install discs in, pressing the "C" key and doing the whole 7x rewrite from disc utility?

Or, was selecting erase and reinstall for the OS good enough? FWIW the guy at the Genius bar told me I just needed to delete my user name file and that would be good enough. Based on the info I've read here I don't think that would have been enough, right?

I am selling this to a stranger so yes, I'd like to be sure they can't access my info.

Thanks for your quick reply!!! (And I apologize for being so clueless...)

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

A 7x rewrite is when the system writes over all of your data with 0s seven times. You're all set.

3. lorib thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but after doing this 7x rewrite, I was still able to access all of my data...?? which made me think maybe i did something wrong.

I see now that i was supposed to put in my installation disk and hit the control C key, then do the whole disk utility 7x rewrite, and that's not how I did it.

Regardless, I have now reinstalled the OS. I did select erase and reinstall, so I guess I'm probably ok. But if I need to reinstall all over again I will....

Also --one other question which I think might be pretty dumb but hey, I'm not 100% certain. If I reinstall the OS, do all software apps get deleted? i.e. I had Microsoft Office on this computer --is it gone? (I do have all original disks, etc) Just want to be sure I'm not giving away my software.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you still have your own data on the disk then it will only rewrite over the "empty" space. You will need to boot from the install DVD, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, erase the entire Macintosh HD partition, then do the 7x overwrite.

5. lorib thread starter macrumors newbie

So..if I have already performed the "erase and install" and have a new OS installed, what should i do now? when i put the startup disk in, hitting the "c" key does nothing and the program goes through its intro, asking for my mac id, etc. should i just register/sign up, then start all over again and reinstall?
    Thanks.