A question on storage

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Greg716, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Greg716 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I have recently upgraded my iMac and the new machine has flash only storage (512gb). I want to keep my applications and essentials on the SSD and store VLOGS and other large files on an external solution.

Hopefully someone won't mind helping me find the best solution :)

I currently have everything stored on the SSD and have a LaCie 3TB external hard drive attached for time machine backups. I have a portable hard drive stored at my parents house which I bring home on occasion to have a copy of my files elsewhere in case of a flood etc.

My question is how do I add a second external hard drive to store videos away from the SSD, and will this get backed up by my existing hard drive performing the time machine backups. Do the backups store every attached in external hard drives, or only stuff stored internally? If the existing time machine won't store info on another disk what is the easiest way to back that one up? Would I just keep a copy of all my videos on another drive kept elsewhere to improve redundancy in the same way I have for the main backups?

I am not too hot on storage solutions etc so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope it all makes sense

Best Regards

Greg

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine by default will exclude an external drive from backups. Just open Time Machine prefs and in the Options section remove the external from the excluded list and then it will be backed up by Time Machine.