A question regarding 3g to 8g which is better

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GHST, Aug 12, 2008.

1. GHST macrumors newbie

which one is better? Is the 3g or the 8g and is the faster service really that much faster and is it worth it switching? I also heard from someone that if you have a 8g you can trade the 8g in for a big discounted 3g... But is It worth it or should I stick with my 8g?

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Huh????:confused::confused::confused:

3. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

I think he's asking if he should upgrade from his 8 gigabyte iPhone to the iPhone 3G.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

haha. I believe he is mixing his 8GB iPhone with 3G.

8GB refers to the capacity of the amount of information that the iPhone can hold (how many songs and movies it can hold)

3G is the internet connection type.

The two are not related

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would go with the 3G iPhone 16GB, since it's always nicer to have that extra space...:cool:

6. GHST thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the 3gb iPhone worth getting if I have the 8GB iPhone? Is the Internet that more noticeably faster? Also my friend told me if I gave the 8GB iPhone to apple then I can get the 3GB iPhone at a cheaper price.:apple:

7. GHST thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I feel like an absolute idiot hahaha well do you know if its true with turning in the 8gb to get the 3g at a discount price?

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Stop calling it the 3GB iPhone and the 8GB iPhone. You are confusing ppl.

The "3G" iPhone does not refer to the storage capacity
    It is 3G as in 3rd Generation of wireless data technology
    It is not "3GB"...GB refers to Gigabytes....there is not 3 Gigabyte iPhone at all

Now, there are several capacities....
    Original iPhones had 4GB, 8GB, then 16 GB
    The next generation of iPhones (3G) have 8GB and 16GB

9. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

fixed:D

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You don't have to turn it in. (You can keep it...or sell it...give it away...whatever you wish)

If you have an Orignal iPhone activated on your account, you can get the discounted price of
    $199 for the 8GB capacity 3G iPhone
    or
    $299 for the 16GB capacity 3G iPhone

11. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

no. You only get the "cheap" price if you are available for an upgrade, i believe.. Otherwise, you would be better off selling your existing iphone and tkaing the cash and buying the 3G.. HOWEVER, before you decide to go in and buy the 3G, i suggest looking up and figuring out your 3G coverage. You might be happier and better off waiting for 3G coverage to be better in your area and holding on your existing iphone.

If money is NOT an issue, the IDEAL situation would be to purchase a 3G (16GB ofcoarse) and use that one for a while, but KEEP your older one just incase you decide to return, you still have the older one (since you can not buy the 2G new anymore)

For me, personally, 3G is USELESS> we have NO COVERAGE in our area, and i already have a GPS unit, and my internet is pretty fast.

12. GHST thread starter macrumors newbie

well now that strikes me as odd that the coverage would be different for the 3g then the 2g but alright then I'll just wait till I get better coverage because I'm about 99% sure that where I am at has very little to no service where I'm at... Anyone hear when the iPhone will be able to send pic messages or is this now able on the 3g?

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it's been able to send pictures in emails since it was first released, however it still can't send MMS.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not true. Unless things have changed in the last 3 weeks, having an Original iPhone active on your account will qualify you. I speak from direct experience.

This part I agree with.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That's because the 2g services have to be upgraded to provide 3G. Upgrading is phased in certain areas at a time. Lot's of towers have not been upgraded. That is why the coverage differs.